WOMENS TRACK:State’s biggest meet brings ‘different level of competition’

Iowa States Jenna Caffrey clears a hurdle during the 100 meter hurdles on Thursday, April 24, 2008, during the Drake Relays at Drake Stadium in Des Moines. Photo: Josh Harrell/Iowa State Daily.

Josh Harrell

Iowa State’s Jenna Caffrey clears a hurdle during the 100 meter hurdles on Thursday, April 24, 2008, during the Drake Relays at Drake Stadium in Des Moines. Photo: Josh Harrell/Iowa State Daily.

By Jake Lovett

It’s the granddaddy of them all. It is known as “America’s Athletic Classic.” It is the yearly tradition that has captivated the state of Iowa for one weekend every April since 1910.

The Drake Relays is one of the biggest sporting events in the state, and one of the biggest meets in the country every spring. Athletes from across the country will flood the blue oval at Drake Stadium in Des Moines this weekend, striving for glory — and little white flags.

“It’s just a different level of excitement,” said ISU head coach Corey Ihmels. “We’ve got kids that have grown up in Iowa and know how important it is, and we’ve got a group of kids that don’t. And I think that’s okay — they’ll understand next year.”

The Cyclone women will begin Friday with a full slate of competitions, with several relay team and field event competitors participating through the afternoon.

Native Iowans like junior Jenna Caffrey and sophomore Britta Christofferson will get another chance to compete in the famed competition as they did during their high school years. Meanwhile, out-of-state teammates will be key to the Cyclones’ success this weekend, particularly in the relay events.

Junior Lashawn Wright – a native of Mesquite, Texas – will be competing in her third Relays.

“It’s a big deal, especially with a lot of Iowans on the team, because a lot of them will get to see family and friends,” Wright said. “Everyone gets really pumped up about it because it’s a really big deal.”

The Cyclones have five freshman scheduled for competition. They will have to handle being on the biggest stage of the outdoor season.

Ihmels said the athletes who competed at the Relays in high school will be a little more accustomed to the environment, but it is still drastically different.

“When there’s an Iowa State athlete or there’s an Iowa athlete there’s a little extra excitement to the crowd,” Ihmels said. “If you get that baton in the lead, or you take the lead, you’re going to hear about it, and that’s cool.”

Freshman Kianna Elahi will make her Drake Relays debut in the 400-meter hurdle event on Saturday afternoon, and will likely compete in at least one relay. Wright will be competing on three of the relay teams for the Cyclones, including the 4×100-meter, 4×200-meter, and the Sprint Medley Relay teams.

Wright said the fact so few of the athletes will be competing individually takes the pressure off of the athletes and allows them to focus on the team’s goal: qualifying for the NCAA regional competition.

Assistant coach Nate Wiens was charged with putting together strong short-relay teams for the event, and focused on chemistry when he selected members for each team.

“I’m looking for them to give their best effort in these relays,” Wiens said.  “This is a great chance to build some team unity and have fun with their teammates.”

The throws group will also be a key unit for the Cyclones at Drake. They are coming off of a very successful weekend in California last weekend, and Ihmels is looking for them to repeat that success.

Freshmen Danielle Frere and Laishema Hampton will be competing in the Relays for the first time, while Christofferson and senior Amy Waggoner will be returning for another shot at a Drake title.

“I’m not going to be surprised if they come out of Drake with a whole new set of personal records and maybe a flag or two,” Ihmels said.

“I know they’re getting a little extra rest this week, so I’m expecting big things from that group.”

Ihmels won’t be attending the Relays, but will instead be with junior Lisa Koll and a small group of distance runners in Berkeley, California. He said he will miss the atmosphere of the big stage. He gave credit, though, to his coaching staff for handling the group that will be at Drake.

“This is the biggest stage we’ve been on so far, and the competition is similar to that we’ll see at our Conference Championship,” said Wiens, who will also be making his Iowa State debut at Drake. “It’s almost a home meet. It will be great.”