AMUSE asks: What does Valentine’s Day mean to you?

Stacey Hasken, sophomore in apparel merchandising, design, and production, said she loves her title of being single. Hasken said she will spend Valentine’s Day with her friends, going out to party and enjoying being single. Photo: Jon Lemons/Iowa State Daily

Allison Clarke

Whether you’re a single or in a relationship, this Valentine’s Day could mean something special to you. Some people feel that it is too commercialized and it shouldn’t be celebrated at all, while others find it to be one of the best days of the year and rejoice in its celebration of love. Either way, there is a way for everyone to celebrate this day with the people who matter the most to them.

Couple

Karen Phelps — sophomore in pre-advertising

Q&A:

How do you feel about your title? What do you think it means for Valentine’s Day? KP: “I’m perfectly happy with it. I love when my boyfriend introduces me as his girlfriend. It’s a day to remind us to appreciate each other.”

How are you going to spend Valentine’s Day? KP: “We’re long distance, so either we’ll meet or I’ll go home.”

Do you think there is a jealousy that exists for singles about couples, or is it the other way around? KP: “I definitely think there is both. Sometimes I feel that it would be fun to be single, but what we have is more important than a little fun.”

With both couples and singles saying that they “hate” this holiday, how do you feel about it? KP: “It’s definitely commercial. But, what’s the harm about placing a lot of emphasis on a day about love?”

Do you and your boyfriend have a theme song? KP: “We do, and it is “Here (In Your Arms)” by Hellogoodbye.”

In your opinion, what would be the perfect Valentine’s Day dinner? KP: “We would have a casual dinner at home and cook together.”

What would you say is the perfect Valentine’s Day movie? KP: “I hate chick flicks, so it would have to be like a James Bond or super hero movie.”

Couple

Curt Boyer — sophomore in art and design

Q&A:

With couples and singles both saying they hate Valentine’s Day, how do you feel about it? CB: “I really don’t mind it.”

How are you going to spend Valentine’s Day? CB: “I haven’t really thought about it, but we’ll more than likely go out to dinner. I always surprise [my boyfriend] with something.”

How do you feel about your title? What do you think it means for Valentine’s Day? CB: “I like it and am very confident with it. [Valentine’s Day is] a day for people to express their love for their significant other.”

If you could change the whole meaning of Valentine’s Day to something else, what would you change it to? CB: “Maybe one thing I would change is making it more romantic, more emphasis on the meaning of doing something, and less on spending money.”                                                          

What would be the perfect Valentine’s Day dinner? CB: “In my opinion it would be homemade.”

What is the best Valentine’s Day movie? CB: “Definitely The Notebook. It’s the universal Valentine’s Day movie.”

If you had a theme song what would it be? CB: “’I Saw The Sign’ by Ace of Base.”

Single

Stacey Hasken sophomore in apparel merchandising, design, and production

Q&A:

Do you like having “single” as a title? SH: “Yes, I absolutely love it.”

How are you going to spend Valentine’s Day? SH: “My friends and I are going to go out to eat and then probably go out to party and enjoy being single.”

With both couples and singles saying they “hate” Valentine’s Day, how do you feel about it? SH: “I think Valentine’s Day goes both ways. If you’re in a relationship it’s good because you and your significant other have a ‘duty’ to go out and celebrate the love you to share for each other. On the other hand, if you’re in a relationship and your significant other doesn’t do anything, it’s as though they really don’t care or maybe don’t feel the same way about you. So it’s really a day of good or bad. As for the single people out there, Valentine’s Day can also be good or bad. Bad, because this gives us a day to feel sorry for ourselves and think about how lonely and miserable we are. Personally, for me, it is good because you can enjoy the stress free feeling of not having to deal with all this click stuff and can enjoy [it] with people who really matter and [you] care about and have a good time.”

Do you think there is a jealousy that exists for singles about couples, or is it the other way around? SH: “Yes, I think most single[s] regret or feel like they should have someone there with them on Valentine’s Day. But it’s like why on this one day of the year do [singles] feel like they hate being single?”

If you had a theme song what would it be? SH: “It would be any song that Beyonce sings about being independent, single or having fun.”

In a few words how would you describe yourself? SH: “I would say fun, outgoing and single.”