GSB seeks bond with students

Jennifer Dryden

Getting the word out about GSB is a top priority for new President Daniel Fischer for the remainder of the spring and next fall.

Wednesday’s Government of the Student Body’s Senate meeting came to order under the new president and vice-president, Fischer, senior in agricultural business, and Maggie Luttrell, senior in history.

Fischer presented the State of the Student Body speech to kick off the meeting. He pointed out that, although GSB will only hold two meetings during the remainder of this academic year, his and Luttrell’s goals to work with political leaders may be positively affected by advancing communication with students.

Fischer said his goals also include increasing student participation on campus and motivating students to vote.

“Student voices should be heard,” he said.

An information campaign was also a topic of interest Wednesday. Fischer accented the current knowledge and understanding common students have of GSB.

“Most importantly, and finally, we can work together to improve our effort [to inform the student body],” Fischer said. “Ask [the students] for the support in the next year.”

Numerous chairpersons were elected to the public relations and university affairs committees.

Elisa Berzins, junior in marketing, was elected by a unanimous vote to chair the public relations committee. Berzins requested that Rebecca Carton, sophomore in pre-journalism, be the new director of pubic relations for the 2008-09 school year.

The new chair of university affairs committee title was unanimously awarded to Senator Lauren Suerth, junior in community and regional planning, after a debate between her and Senator Jacob Johnston, junior in management.

Senator Mitchell Hayek, graduate student in political science, was chosen as the GSB representative to the CyRide board of trustees by a unanimous vote.

Stephanie Lang, junior in hotel, restaurant and institution management, was appointed to the GSB Cabinet as director of events.

There were five open seats for the Senate rules committee. They went to Senators Gannon Hendrick, senior in political science—, Brandi Ostrander, junior in political science, Michael Weber, sophomore in family finance, housing and policy, Jim Smaga, junior in sociology, and Erik Hofstad, senior in aerospace engineering.

The new members of the finance committee are Dan Finnegan, junior in aerospace engineering, Justin Knight, sophomore in materials engineering, Chandra Peterson, freshman in political science and Chad Baker, junior in accounting.

The finance bill for transfering $120,000 from the GSB Vehicle Administration account to an investment account to earn interest over the summer passed 33-0-0.

Additionally, Senator Charles Wakefield declared his resignation.