GSB will focus on funding

Rebecca Carton

The Government of the Student Body will focus on funding when the Senate meets for the final time before spring break. One bill set to be resolved at the meeting involves allocating $10,060 from the capital projects account for high-speed scanners and other equipment.

The scanners, which convert text to audio, are intended to aid students who require or prefer learning through audio rather than text.

GSB President Brian Phillips, senior in political science, said the bill would help many students.

“The scanner is used to convert text to audio. We have a commitment to fund certain things for alternative education,” he said. “This is a good bill that will help a lot of students.”

Another bill set to be resolved focuses on replacing the three oak trees that were recently removed to make way for the new marching band practice field. If passed, the bill would allocate $4,800 from the capital projects account for 10 new trees, labor and maintenance.

Senator Tom Danielson, senior in civil engineering and co-author of the bill, said Facilities Planning and Management has a list of acceptable trees that can be planted but would also like student input on the matter if the bill is passed.

Danielson also said that, while it is not certain where the new trees would be planted, they would most likely be on the north side of campus, near where the old trees were recently removed.

The final bill involves creating a line item for the men’s volleyball club in order to use $110.25 left over from other funds to purchase additional advertising.

Senators will also hear the first read of the regular allocations bill that will contain the monetary requests of approximately 150 student groups for next year.

Ryan Myers, GSB finance director and graduate student in accounting, said the Senate’s job is to review the budgets and spot-check them, making sure there are no questionable requests or mistakes that the finance committee missed.

“Every senator has the opportunity to pull out a group, talk about it and bring questions,” he said. “Technically, they don’t have the big stacks of budgets in front of them, but they have the accessibility to them.”

Myers said that the most common reasons for a budget being “pulled out,” or given a closer look, are that a student group contacts is senators with concerns about their budget or a senator finds a mistake.

GSB is set to resolve the regular allocations bill on March 26. Myers said that, for regular allocations, it is normal that the senators have two weeks to look over the bill.

“It’s always traditionally split over spring break,” he said. “It’s good and bad.”