Guitar hereos

Tyler Coenen

The ISU guitar club is for anyone who has taken an interest in learning to play the guitar. The club is ready to accommodate any musical style and any player’s taste.

“We might focus on blues guitar for a night, rock guitar on another night and funk guitar on another,” said Travis Thompson, freshman in electrical engineering and new president of the club. “We like to do stuff like that.”

The meetings provide a setting for new players to learn and for experienced players to meet people.

“We usually get in groups and have our own sessions, and people play and bring out guitars,” said vice president Wyatt Brenneman, junior in electrical engineering. “It’s kind of like a social gathering to get to know other guitar players.”

The club invites all students interested in guitar to attend the meetings.

“We love having new members,” Brenneman said. “They don’t have to play guitar, they just have to want to learn.”

The club has a number of experienced members who are willing to help new students.

“We answer all gear questions when they come up,” Thompson said.

“Between us we have quite a bit of experience and knowledge to help people.”

In addition to their regular meetings, the guitar club holds a variety of events, including open mic nights and recording sessions.

“We are having a pizza and a movie night and a Guitar Hero jam,” Thompson said.

The club also gives members an opportunity to perform at the Maintenance Shop in the Memorial Union every semester.

“We have a show at the M-shop that people from guitar club can play in and they don’t have to pay anything,” Brenneman said. “The guitar club covers the cost, so we just give them a place to play.”

Thompson said the guitar club is fun.

“It’s a great club, especially since it’s school, school, school all of the time. It is kind of nice to have a diversion from it,” Thompson said.

Guitar Club meetings

When: 8 p.m. Thursdays

Where: 1246 Howe Hall

Number of student members: 150

Dues per semester: $10

Dues per year: $15