Cyclones adjust to unfamiliar roles to seal victory

Travis Cordes

It’s been nearly four years since Lauren Cummings has consistently played in the back row, dating all the way back to when she played high school volleyball in Ankeny.

But in her last three matches, the Cyclone senior has had no problem adjusting to a relatively foreign set of positions at a much higher level of play.

Since first playing the back row against Colorado last Wednesday, Cummings is averaging the third-most digs for the Cyclones in that span, trailing only freshman libero Ashley Mass and setter Kaylee Manns.

“Since it’s been so long, every match is a learning experience,” Cummings said. “Just moving to a new position and getting used to playing with the other girls in the back row, and I’m getting more and more comfortable as time comes.”

Cummings isn’t the first Cyclone to undergo a transition to the back row this season, as senior Erin Boeve has also found herself in the back for the first time since high school.

“The biggest thing about Lauren and Erin is they are both such competitive people,” said coach Christy Johnson. “Even though they’re not veteran ball-handlers, they’re so competitive that they find ways to make passes and bring the ball up where someone with equal talent but isn’t as driven wouldn’t.”

Cummings has produced 11, 20 and 22 kills in her three matches since the transition, with the last two being consecutive career highs. She has also produced her only two double-doubles of the season by adding 13 and 12 digs in two of the matches.

After losing three primary passers from last season, one of the biggest challenges facing the Cyclones in the preseason was filling the void left by the departed seniors. Cummings and Boeve have helped alleviate this problem for the Cyclones, despite being asked to play such unfamiliar positions.

Boeve has done an exceptional job in adapting to her new role and has registered eight matches with double-digit digs this season.

“Even from high school to college, the change in level of play is so high,” said Boeve. “Now we have to keep the same intensity throughout the whole match because, when we used to sub out of the back row, we had time to regroup and think about what we were doing, where now we have to focus constantly.”

While playing in the back row means less substitution for Cummings and Boeve, their stamina has allowed them to maintain the same level of play after being used to watching half of the match from the sideline.

“I love staying on the court all the time,” Cummings said. “When I’m sitting out, I always want to be in. I have enough energy that I could play more than five games while being in on every point, and I feel I can really help motivate the team when I play more.”