GSB alters publication funding procedures

Ross Boettcher

The Government of the Student Body Senate had an extensive agenda Wednesday night, but two student-oriented bills stole the show as a number of bills up for second read passed with unanimous consent.

The first, titled “The Cost of Silence,” was approved and will allocate $2,732 for the automation of the Central Campus Campanile.

Along with the initial installment cost, Facilities Planning and Management has contracted for and agreed to pay all monthly costs.

GSB Senator Charles Wakefield, senior in computer science, said the allocation of money was one that will surely benefit students. Prior to the Campanile automation, student organizations were charged $60 for every time the quarter-hour chimes was to be turned off for events.

“This is a phenomenal deal for everyone,” Wakefield said. “After just 46 uses, the project has already paid for itself.”

The second bill that drew some heat was one containing recommendations on the annual review of the Finance Committee’s priorities and criteria. Every year, the priorities and criteria are reviewed and changes are made. It provides consistent guidelines for financial decisions made on funding for student groups, as well as regular and special allocations.

Four issues were brought up in debate amongst Senators – dues collected by campus organizations, funding specific line items for groups that rely on subscriptions, international food guidelines and airport transportation for international students.

Although amendments to the bills were able to clear up issues on most topics, the Senate moved to postpone any decision on the priorities and criteria bill until after Thanksgiving break so the International Student Council could be contacted regarding pending provisions.

Of the changes made to the bill, the Senate passed an amendment that strongly encourages all student organizations to collect at least $10 in member dues.

Senator Tom Danielson, junior in civil engineering, said that when funding student organizations, members of the Senate often give higher consideration to groups that prove that they are able to raise and manage their own funds in a responsible manner.

Disbursement of funds to student publications was another matter that changed drastically during the meeting. Instead of being granted a lump sum of money for “unforeseen circumstances,” student publications will now be considered like all other student groups.

GSB President Brian Phillips, senior in political science, said the decision will close what he considered a “large loophole.”

Danielson agreed with Phillips, saying student publications and their usage of GSB-allocated funds needed to be carefully tracked.

“I do think it’s important for GSB and Finance Committee to hold publications to the same standards as other groups,” Danielson said. “A lot of student fee money goes to publications, and I think we should be able to see where that money goes.”