Seeing green in the Radiohead ‘Rainbow’

Tyler Coenen

With their experimental release of “In Rainbows” on Oct. 10, Radiohead explored the possibilities of marketing and distributing music over the Internet without copy protection.

The album was released on the band’s Web site, www.inrainbows.com, as a revolutionary experiment in record distribution. Fans can acquire the CD for any amount they are willing to pay.

“They have so much money,” said Corey Harkins, freshman in psychology. “They are making a much bigger statement by saying, ‘Here is music for free.’ It’s a big statement in music.”

More people than just students are taking notice, as well.

“It has the band receiving a huge amount of attention,” said Jay Newell, assistant professor of advertising.

During this overwhelming surge of attention, Radiohead has already sold more than 1.2 million copies over the Web alone.

Radiohead has refused to release any sales figures detailing how much money they’ve received, but it seems that most buyers choose not to pay for the album. Web-traffic-measuring firm comScore Inc. polled hundreds of people who have downloaded the album, and according to its Web site, fewer than 40 percent of people who downloaded the album paid for it, and those who did pay averaged a $6 payment.

The band took issue with comScore’s results, saying that “the figures quoted by the company comScore Inc. are wholly inaccurate and in no way reflect definitive market intelligence or, indeed, the true success of the project.”

“I think they’re trying to do something different,” said Molly Mack, student in Iowa State’s Admissions Partnership Program. “They want people to hear their album. It’s more for the music than for the money.

“I think it’s great that they let you pick your price. It is a good thing they are trying to do with their music.”

The results of Radiohead’s experiment could have a significant impact on the future of online marketing and distribution of music.

“A band that’s well known for their leading-edge music will now be known for using leading-edge distribution,” Newell said.

Some noted the band’s appreciation toward its fans.

“If a fan wants to support their music, they can make a donation,” Thomas said. “It is helping their fans more than just helping themselves.”

Only recently, Radiohead has completed a deal with ATO Records to help prepare for the physical release of their seventh album on Jan. 1, 2008. “In Rainbows” will be pressed on Radiohead’s own label, TBD Records, after the band spent its earlier years on EMI up until 2005.

ATO has also been pushing two songs onto U.S. radio shows, “Bodysnatchers” and “Jigsaw Falling Into Place.”