Cross country crosses borders

Jessi Pierce

Student-athletes come to Iowa State from throughout the United States and sometimes from across the world. The ISU cross country team is no exception.

This year’s men’s and women’s teams together boast six runners – on a 38-person team – originating from the countries of Kenya, Australia, Germany and England. Coach Corey Ihmels attributed the emphasis on recruiting internationally to former ISU coach Bill Bergan.

“It’s something that I think we have a tradition for,” Ihmels said. “It started off with coach Bergan many years ago in acquiring athletes from overseas. We’re just trying to get the best student-athletes and some of these athletes are from different countries. We recruit a lot of U.S. kids, we recruit a lot of Iowans and international kids, and it’s a good mix, and it gives a diverse look to our team.

“It’s also a good experience for kids on our team, to work together with kids from Germany, Kenya and Australia and give a different perspective, and makes for a unique experience for everyone.”

What makes recruiting internationally so difficult, Ihmels said, is the actual recruitment process to find and obtain these student-athletes.

“A lot of the recruiting process internationally has now changed within the past five or 10 years with the help of Internet,” Ihmels said. “I think for the most part, especially with the Africans, we’ve had a rich tradition in the past recruiting the international athletes in that area, and I think that gives us a leg up as far as being able to contact those kids when they have a good familiarity with Iowa State.

“It’s not really an exact science, but it’s something that you have to work pretty hard at and stay on just like recruiting in the U.S., but it can be rewarding if you get the right student-athlete.”

Junior Richard Newton, from Preston, England, agrees with Ihmels that it is easier when you are familiar with ISU cross country.

“My coach at home [former ISU cross country legend John Nuttall] ran here in Nationals and was good friends with coach Ihmels,” Newton said.

“So when I was looking at universities, he suggested it to be a good place to go.”

Not all runners that are here, however, have heard it from someone as predominant or familiar with the ISU cross country team as Newton had.

“Coach Ihmels contacted me about two years ago,” senior Australian native Jayden Russ said. “At that time, I didn’t really know much about the college system, but when I looked into it and found out a little bit more about the school and the program and the more coach talked to me about it, it made me want to be a part of it.”

Although the recruiting process may be hard on the coaching staff, the various adjustments the athletes face – ranging from climate and culture differences to leaving family and friends far away – can be even more difficult.

“Not having your family here, it goes both ways,” Russ said. “When you’re down and you don’t have a good race or do as well as you want, my brothers were always someone that I’d been used to talking to about it. You know, they always pick you up. The same goes when you have a good race you want to share it with them. Now, without them here, I’ve found comfort in my team. We have such a good group of guys and girls that they are helpful in those same ways my family is, which makes it a lot easier.”

Even harder then the transitions from leaving your family are the vast differences in culture, Kenyan runner Grace Kemmey said.

“The food here is so very different, and so is the weather – it’s very cold here,” Kemmey said. “Training here is a little bit harder than back in Africa, too. It’s a lot longer here than it was in Africa, but I’m getting used to it, and running with this team, I like it because I know I am going to just get better.”

Ihmels understands the adjustments athletes are forced to make.

“I think it takes some time for them to adjust, you look at Jayden and even though the cultures may be somewhat similar, it’s still taking him some time to adjust,” said Ihmels. “Then you look at Hillary [Bor, from Kenya] and Grace, it’s a little different of a transition for them because the cultures are so different. I think they’ve all done a good job of settling and I think it’s a credit to the coaching staff and the student-athletes on the team.

“They’ve brought these runners in with open arms and I think not all other teams are suitable for international athletes as we are.”

Despite the differences international athletes face, one thing remains – they all seem to be grateful and excited for the opportunity to run at Iowa State, and to be a part of its team.

“I’m really happy I’ve taken the opportunity to be here and I think it’s something that a lot of people don’t get the chance to do,” Russ said. “I think the people you meet and the experiences you get from such an opportunity is really a once-in-a-lifetime thing, and I’m glad Coach was able to allow this opportunity.

“We have people from all over the world here, and that just completes this experience for me.”