Cyclone Hockey fights way to exhibition win

Noah Schmelzer

After a six month layoff, Cyclone Hockey is back to its winning ways. After Downing the Minnesota Owls in a 4-2 thriller at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena Friday night, Iowa State took a 1-0 lead in the two game exhibition series.

Coming out strong from the opening whistle, coach Al Murdoch’s team dominated possession, out-shooting the Owls by a margin of 13-5. Despite keeping the puck in the offensive zone for the majority of the period, freshman Anthony Turcato was the only Cyclone able to put in a goal against a scrappy Minnesota team.

The second period saw the Owls pull even with the home Cyclones. Scoring on a power play, Dan Liedl was able to find a gap in the defense of sophomore goaltender Christian Johansson. The lackluster second period was only just a preamble to the fireworks that were set to go off in the third.

Newcomer Turcato sparked the Cyclone offense with his second goal of the evening, less than three minutes into the third quarter. Fellow freshman Mike Lebler was the beneficiary of a Turcato assist twenty seconds later that jolted everyone in the house to their feet.

Lebler’s goal was to be the last at even strength in what was to become a penalty plagued period that saw three separate fights and 17 penalties between the two teams. Both teams got more than a fair chance to capitalize as the numerous infractions, Iowa State going as far as to squander two different 5-3 power plays.

A breakaway goal midway through the period by Owl forward Nick Johnson created a sense of urgency for both teams as the clock wound down. Not until a last second goal put Iowa State up 4-2 were the Cyclones able to breathe easily.

Al Murdoch dressed 13 freshmen in what he considers one of the best recruiting classes he’s ever had. Combined with the eight sophomores, Iowa State looks to be one of the youngest squads in the CSCHL.