GSB dicusses new art on campus, PAW events

Nimota Nasiru

The Government of the Student Body met Wednesday to discuss new business and wrap up old.

Lynette Pohlman, director of University Museums, gave a 15-minute presentation to GSB on the idea of having a partnership with the Art on Campus program and financially supporting new art pieces on campus.

According to its Web site, the Art on Campus program “began during the Depression in the 1930s when Iowa State College’s President Hughes envisioned that the arts would enrich and provide substantial intellectual exploration into our college curricula.”

Although the decision on who the sculptor will be for the new campus art is unclear and they are unsure on the cost of the project, Pohlman is sure this development will be best for the enhancement of the ISU campus.

Political Action Week will be wrapping up its political interest enhancing activities Thursday and Friday on Central Campus. On Thursday, Mayor Ann Campbell and Iowa Secretary of State Michael Mauro will be discussing issues pertinent to the ISU community. Afterwards, Ryan Doll, 3rd Ward city councilman, and Dan Rice, 1st Ward city councilman and academic adviser in liberal arts and sciences, will fuel discussion-based topics with the audience.

In addition, GSB will be hosting a “Meet Your Government Day” during which GSB will be giving students the opportunity to meet members of the organization, talk about issues they are working on, and take questions from students.

On Friday, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill. will be visiting campus and speaking about critical issues to his campaign for presidency. Daniel Fischer, director of government relations for GSB and junior in agricultural business, holds high hopes that although the past couple of days of PAW have seen low attendance, the next two days will be very successful.

“It’s been a little disappointing so far, but I know the next two days will be the strongest,” Fischer said.

Adam Fisher, freshman in pre-business, was appointed to the University Affairs Committee in GSB. Although he presently has no specific ideas on events to host for ISU students, one of his goals is to bridge the gap between ISU students and GSB.

“I’d really like to see students get more involved in GSB. I think we should show them (students) that we are here to represent them,” Fisher said.