Old faces take new places in wrestling team

Luke Plansky

The idea of a major shift in the ISU wrestling lineup is more than rumor.

With second-year starters returning in the first four spots of the lineup and holes at 157-, 165- and 174-pounds, coach Cael Sanderson is thinking of restructuring the remainder of last year’s Cyclone team.

“We’re so young, those kids are still growing,” Cael said. “We kind of planned for it, but it’s hard to really know what kids are going to do. There is a good chance we’ll be moving guys up, a lot of our young guys.”

Cael said the final decision will be made closer to the Nov. 8 start of the 2007-08 season.

Six freshman started for the team, including Nick Fanthorpe (125), Nick Gallick (133), Mitch Mueller (141) and Cyler Sanderson (149). A switch would likely involve that group.

Cael said senior David Bertolino – the 174-pound starter in 2005-06 – will likely contend for the 197-pound spot in the lineup. Joe Curran – the 197-pound starter as a true freshman in 2005-06 – is also returning after a redshirt year.

“They’re all big and strong right now,” Cael said of the returning freshmen. “I’m not a big, big fan of cutting a lot of weight. I don’t think that’s going to help our cause.

“We need guys that are excited to be here, working hard, trying to get better every day, focusing on things other than cutting weight. But we’ll do what’s best for the team.”

Redshirt freshman Mark Kist (125) and sophomore Laramie Shaffer (133/141) are two of the top candidates to fit into such an arrangement.

Sebolt leaves team

T.J. Sebolt, Iowa’s all-time high school wins leader, is no longer a member of the wrestling team.

Sanderson said Sebolt (141) decided to take a break from wrestling to enroll at a community college in his hometown.

He completed his redshirt season with Iowa State last year. Sebolt set the state wins mark with a record of 207-1 at Centerville High School, winning four state titles. He also set a prep record with 137 pins.

Paulsons, Backes to stay on campus

The ISU wrestling team has retained three graduating standouts from last year’s team.

Brothers Trent and Travis Paulson have signed on as the strength and conditioning coaches for the wrestling team, and Kurt Backes is staying in Ames for graduate school and will continue to compete with the support of the Cyclone Wrestling Club.

With the recent departure of Nate Gallick to Tennessee-Chattanooga, Cael said there is a demand for Cyclone wrestlers after college.

“We don’t want to lose anybody, but each year that’s just the way it’s going to go,” Cael said of Gallick. “Especially when we start pumping these guys out. People want wrestlers that come through our system – come through coach [Bobby] Douglas’ system. It’s tough. Every kid that comes out of here, it’s a fight to keep them around.”