Meeting discusses public restrooms, renovation project

James Heggen

The Student Affairs Commission met Thursday night and discussed the possible renovation of a park and the lack of public restrooms in Campustown.

Nancy Carroll, director of Parks and Recreation, was at the meeting to discuss the renovation project of Campustown Court, a small park on the southeast corner of Welch Avenue and Chamberlain Street.

There is currently $25,000 for the project and Carroll said she was there to get input from the commission.

“We’re really open-minded,” she said.

Steve Schainker, Ames city manager, suggested possibly turning over the project to a landscape architecture class.

“That’s a really good idea,” said Craig Buske, Government of the Student Body ex-officio City Council liaison and senior in political science.

Brian Phillips, GSB senator, president-elect and junior in political science, said not much could be done this semester because it is so close to the end of the school year. He suggested getting preliminary input and ideas from students and the landscape architecture department.

Carroll also suggested it could be a Veishea service project for next year.

The issue of public restrooms in Campustown was also discussed at the meeting. Buske said he had been in contact with Mike Yeagle, director of Campustown Property Management, who had discussed the possibility of opening Stomping Grounds and Cyclone Plaza restrooms for public use in Campustown. Buske suggested the city contract him on a trial basis to see how the arrangement would work out.

The commission made the decision to invite him to the next meeting to discuss the possibility of opening the restrooms in Campustown.

Schainker said he had looked for possible locations for portable toilets in Campustown; however, he did not find any that would work.

The commission also voted to recommend the City Council allocate $3,000 to Veishea for its pancake and wing feeds. Veishea will be coming before the City Council on Tuesday requesting the funds, and the commission decided to recommend the council allocate the money to encourage non-alcoholic events.

Cleanliness of Campustown was also discussed.