GSB declines on resolution to support proposed fee

James Heggen

During Wednesday night’s meeting, the Government of the Student Body voted against a resolution that would have supported a library fee.

David Hopper, university library committee chairman and professor of veterinary diagnostic and production animal medicine, attended the meeting Wednesday and was optimistic, even though the resolution was voted down by a vote of 12-13-2.

“I guess I’m looking at the glass as half full,” he said.

Hopper said he was pleased with the sincerity of the debate and was proud of the students who voted for and against the resolution.

Although the senators on both sides of the debate had different views on the proposed fee, all were supportive of the library.

“They both voted their conscience,” he said.

Hopper said the University Library Committee will be going to Graduate and Professional Student Senate and Faculty Senate meetings, which both have resolutions concerning the library fee.

“At this point, our main view is to move forward,” he said.

After the resolutions are voted on in these bodies, the University Library Committee will meet and decide how to proceed with the process.

Hopper said the survey and resolutions are all pieces of information that the Special Student Fee and Tuition Committee will evaluate when considering the fee.

Ian Guffy, GSB senator and senior in computer science, voted against the bill.

He said he didn’t want a core need such as the library being funded by a student fee, a system set up to fund non-essential items.

Guffy said he did think the library needed support, and he would be pursuing other options as vice president next session, making the administration aware of the situation.

“I will bring up that the library does need to be supported,” he said.

Although Guffy voted down the bill, he said he wished there could have been another outcome.

“I was really disappointed we couldn’t get a compromise worked out,” he said.

Jeffrey Rothblum, GSB vice speaker, GSB representative on the University Library Committee, author of the bill and senior in aerospace engineering, said he was disappointed with the vote.

“I think, for the most part, the debate was good,” he said.

Rothblum, who will be graduating and ending his GSB career, said he doesn’t think this issue is over.

“There’s clearly a problem, so we shouldn’t just drop it,” he said.

The library needs money, Rothblum said, and a solution needs to be chosen.