GSB outlines summer plans for Web site, projects

James Heggen

Although the school year is wrapping up, members of the Government of the Student Body are discussing things to work on this summer.

“We’ve got a number of areas we’re going to be tackling,” said Brian Phillips, GSB president and junior in political science.

Phillips said a focus this summer will be talking the to city, Ames Chamber of Commerce and Campustown associations and businesses to think of projects to improve Campustown.

Ian Guffy, GSB vice-president and senior in computer science, said they found a report which includes student, administrator and Campustown “stakeholder” opinions about the state of Campustown and ideas for possible improvements. It includes comparisons to areas like Campustown at other schools and will be used as a starting point for his and Phillips’ efforts in Campustown.

“Over the summer, since there’s not many students around, we’ll be working more with the Chamber of Commerce, the City Council and getting people on board with the idea of just doing something, and then we can work in the fall to start figure out what exactly does everybody want to see out of Campustown,” Guffy said.

Phillips said there are numerous possibilities right now about what can be done for Campustown.

“We just want to start forming the relationships that haven’t been fully developed in a long time,” he said.

Working on the “behind the scenes logistics” to prepare for the upcoming academic year will also be on the agenda for GSB, Phillips said.

“It involves us going around and forming the relationships with various student groups that are around over the summer, with the university administrators,” he said.

Guffy said he and Phillips will be in contact with the other regent universities’ student body governments to talk about lobbying and to find “common ground.”

Phillips said GSB will also work on improving the GSB Web site to make it a better resource. Also planned are drawing up preliminary proposals to deal with Memorial Union sign message allocations, working with ISU ambassadors to further develop their program and getting the GSB 101 presentation prepared.

Adam Krupicka, GSB speaker and graduate student biochemistry, biophysics and molecular biology, said another goal for the summer is working on how to allocate message time to the new Memorial Union sign. Although the final agreement must be approved by the senate, he hopes to get started on it this summer.

“There’s enough senators around this summer to get going on the main draft of the policy,” he said.

Krupicka said he wants to work on determining who will be eligible for the sign, what will be able to be run on the sign, the process for getting a message on the sign and who will have priority when there is a conflict. He hopes to have this open to all registered student groups, not just those eligible for GSB funding.

Most of the things Krupicka plans to work on will concentrate on internal issues that will make GSB more effective. Improving the senate training guide and holding workshops on things such as bill writing are possibilities.

“All of our internal documents – I’d like to see them all in one place,” he said.