GSB to vote on senate support of library fee

James Heggen

The Government of the Student Body will be voting on a senate resolution Wednesday night, expressing either support or opposition to the implementation of a student library fee.

Vice speaker Jeffrey Rothblum, senior in aerospace engineering, GSB representative of the University Library Committee and author of the bill, said the resolution would reflect student support of the proposed library fee.

“If this resolution passes, what it means is that it shows to the Special Student Fees Committee and the president that the student body – that GSB as a representative of the student body – supports the $25 student fee,” he said.

Rothblum said GSB’s support for a fee is a very important part of getting the fee approved.

“It’s one of the key pieces to the puzzle, but it’s not the all-end-all,” he said.

Dean of the Library Olivia Madison said passing the resolution would be helpful in getting the library fee approved.

Rothblum said the people he has talked to about the fee have been in favor of implementing it.

He said he thought the nature of students’ opinion on the fee is not definitive.

“Though there are clearly strong opinions, the student body as a whole hasn’t made a conscious decision one way or another,” he said.

Madison said the survey results were significant enough for the library to continue in pursuing the library fee.

Rothblum said because there is no definitive answer, GSB as a whole needs to decide what is best for the student body and make a decision.

Rothblum hopes GSB considers all things when voting on the library fee resolution, not just the survey.

“I hope that people don’t look at the survey and say, well, there’s not an overwhelming yes, so we have to vote no,” he said. “The interest of the student body as a whole is what should be considered.”

Although as a whole undergraduates do not support the fee as much as graduate students,

Rothblum said the most important thing to do is to take into account the entire student body.

Madison said if the resolution were not to pass, they still may consider pursuing the fee, depending by how much the resolution passes by.

Regardless of what happens, Madison said the final decision to bring the fee to the Board of Regents for consideration is up to ISU President Gregory Geoffroy.