GSB to hold first meeting of new session Wednesday

James Heggen

The Government of the Student Body will be holding its first meeting of the new session Wednesday night, giving many their first taste of official GSB business.

The new senate meeting will not be full since there are still six vacancies on the GSB senate for the new term. The vacancies include a human sciences seat, one Inter-Residence Hall Association seat and four off-campus seats, all of which were not filled during the general election last month. According to the GSB constitution, the constituency councils of the open seats are responsible for nominating an individual for the senate to approve.

The GSB senate will see a mixture of new and familiar faces for the new term.

First-time senator Ryan Crampton, sophomore in political science, will be representing the Interfraternity Council this year. Crampton said he ran so he could continue the communication between his constituency and GSB.

Crampton, who attended the inauguration Monday night, said his first impressions of GSB were positive, and he was excited about working with the senate in the upcoming term.

Cole England, freshman in veterinary medicine, is also a first-time senator. He said he ran because the veterinary college needed representation.

“I think it’s going to be an interesting year,” England said.

Michelle Bohan, returning graduate senator and graduate student in biochemistry, biophysics and molecular biology in agriculture, said she didn’t have many goals for the upcoming term yet. She said she did want to fill the GSB position on the Special Student Fee and Tuition Committee, a position she had this year but will not be taking next year.

As for her impressions of the new senate, Bohan said people are still learning their new positions.

“As time goes on, I think this will be a good senate,” she said.

Brian Phillips, GSB president and junior in political science, said the first meeting will primarily involve seating different positions and committees, as well as a few bills up for first read.

“It should be a light meeting,” he said.

Phillips said he has good expectations for the new senate.

“Senate training was good, so I’m encouraged by that,” he said.

Jonathan Richardson, former GSB speaker and senior in chemical engineering, said he was happy with the way his term went.

“I think we got a lot of work done this year,” he said.

Richardson said he thought the new president and vice president would do a good job in office. He also said the new senate had a lot of enthusiasm and the attendance of the new senators at Monday night’s inauguration was very good.