GSB committee to make student group allocations

James Heggen

The Government of the Student Body will have a bill up for first read at Wednesday’s meeting recommending how to allocate about $1.22 million to different student groups.

Jason Carroll, GSB finance director, chairman of the finance committee and graduate student in civil, construction and environmental engineering, said there was about $1.56 million requested by student groups this year, which left about $344,000 to be cut in order to meet the budget.

Carroll said it was very challenging to cut that amount of money in order to make budget. Even after cutting all the funds requested that do not fall under GSB’s priorities and criteria, there was still much that needed to be eliminated.

“It’s a huge task,” he said.

Ryan Myers, GSB treasurer, member of the finance committee and senior in accounting, said the process “went pretty smooth” this year.

At-large finance committee member and junior in pre-business Amanda Halfacre said this year’s regular allocations were harder than past allocations, but was pleased with the outcome.

“I think it went really well,” she said.

In past years, groups were not as organized as this year. Halfacre said in the past, many groups asked for funding to things that did not fall under the GSB’s priorities and criteria, which made cuts easier. However, groups this year asked for funding to things that did fall under the guidelines, which made cuts more challenging, she said.

At Monday night’s budget balancing meeting, the finance committee looked at what different groups received in the past as a reference point for deciding how much to allocate this year.

Carroll said cutting money to groups requesting funds is not easy.

“I hope groups realize the difficulty this committee had,” he said.

Carroll said the committee spent a lot of time trying to balance the budgets for this year’s regular allocations. The budget balancing meeting alone took more than six hours.

“They’re doing the best job they can to figure out how to allocate student fees,” Carroll said.

Halfacre said cutting groups’ budgets is not an easy thing to do.

Halfacre and Myers had not heard about the groups’ reactions to the cuts that were made at Monday night’s budget balancing meeting.

Carroll said most groups understand cuts need to be made, and are willing to work with the committee to make the cuts.

“Groups never like to be cut, and we never like to cut them anyway,” Carroll said.