GSB announces results

James Heggen

About 20 people were on hand in Kildee Hall on Thursday night to hear the results of the Government of the Student Body elections.

Election commissioner Michael Gilbert, senior in mechanical engineering, did not talk much, but had a PowerPoint presentation with all the winners listed on the slides.

GSB senators Brian Phillips, junior in political science, and Ian Guffy, senior in computer science, the unopposed executive slate, were elected as president and vice president of GSB. Both said they were happy to be elected.

“We’re glad to know that we won,” Guffy said.

Phillps said he was ready to get to work on his new position and he and Guffy were going to meet with the current administration – Emily Jensen, senior in political science, and Sara Faber, senior in public service and administration in agriculture – to make the transition go smoothly.

Filling their cabinet was also a priority for the pair. Phillips said they were going to start holding interviews soon.

“We need to find interested people,” Guffy said.

The newly elected executives have a three-point platform of improving communication with students, reining in tuition and improving Campustown. Of the three, Phillips said improving communication with students will be the first issue they will work on, because reining in tuition and improving Campustown were ongoing projects.

Right now, GSB is working on its GSB 101 presentation to unveil to students at the beginning of next year.

“We’re doing a bunch of different things right now,” Phillips said.

In the next few weeks, the pair will be busy. After break, GSB will hold its regular allocations meeting and the pair will be looking to seat a cabinet and set the plan for their term.

“Right now, we’re looking at a busy couple of weeks,” Phillips said.

Current GSB senator Adam Krupicka, graduate student in biochemistry, biophysics and molecular biology, was re-elected to his graduate senate seat. Krupicka, who laughed when he saw his name as a winner for off-campus senator, said he is excited to be serving on GSB again.

“It’ll be nice to be back,” he said.

Krupicka said he didn’t even think he was eligible for his off-campus position, and even if he was, he would choose to serve as a graduate senator again. One of his goals is to provide a voice for his constituents.

“[One of the main goals is] to continue to provide the unique viewpoint of graduate students to the senate,” he said.