GSB discusses next year’s allocations

James Heggen

Funding allocations for several student groups were the topic of Wednesday night’s Government of the Student Body meeting.

The finance bill that was up for second read was the “Even More Infamous Chamberlain Bill.” The bill was written because, during the Regular Allocations process, the finance committee zero-funded all capital items for the student groups requesting funds. The committee decided to fund some of the group’s capital items from the Capital Project Account.

A senator proposed to cut the GSB/Information Technology Services request from $8,000 to $4,000. The request was made in order to purchase 20 digital cameras and accessories as well as 10 cameras, and the senator didn’t see the need for the high number.

Senator Michelle Bohan, graduate student in biochemistry, biophysics, and molecular biology-agriculture said the service is a great one for all students on campus and felt that it was worthy of the requested funding.

“This is a valuable service,” she said.

The amendment did not pass.

Senator Brian Phillips, junior in political science, said he did not enjoy funding groups in this way and encouraged the senate to use an alternative next time.

“I would encourage senate not to do this in the future if at all possible,” he said.

There were a number of other proposed cuts, but none were implemented and the bill passed at $45,936.49.

Since all of the budget bills sent to the finance committee last week were passed with no changes, the account allocations bill for next year was passed with little debate.

Wednesday night’s meeting also included a program about the Transit Feasibility Study, which is being done for CyRide by the URS Corporation from San Francisco, Calif. Sheri Kyras, CyRide director of transportation, said the need for a study began when the idea was brought up to bring back the Dinkey System, a train system that was in place in Ames during the end of 1800s and beginning of the 1900s. URS is currently doing a feasibility study for all transportation options.

“They’re going to bring you up to date,” she said.

Rick Nau, representative from URS, explained that the study evaluated a number of site’s transportation and found possible solutions for the areas.

These solutions ranged from bigger buses known as articulate busses, which are longer busses that bend in the middle, to the construction of a trolley system.

There will be an open forum to discuss the feasibility study on Thursday, March 29, from 1 to 2 p.m. in room 3534 of the Memorial Union.

There were also five bills up for first read at Wednesday night’s meeting.

One of these bills was the Financial Bylaw revision. GSB speaker Jonathan Richardson, senior in chemical engineering, said the revisions would make it easier for the Finance Committee and the groups involved in the financial process.

The bill ratifying the contract for the Analysis of Social Services Evaluation Team (ASSET) contracts for the 2008 fiscal year.

The next bill up for first read, which was authored by Senator Adam Krupicka, graduate student in biochemistry, biophysics, and molecular biology, was about entering in a contract with the Memorial Union to fund the MU sign on Lincoln Way.

Krupicka said the MU originally budgeted for the sign to be in the renovation plans, but the project went over budget, and therefore, the sign was one of the projects that was left unfunded. The proposed agreement would fund $30,000 for the sign valued at $60,000. Krupicka said the GSB could give message time to different student groups to use the sign for advertisements. The contract is not finalized, but should be for next week’s meeting. Richard Reynolds, director of the Memorial Union, will make a presentation regarding the sign during programs next week.

Senator Charles Wakefield, senior in computer engineering, authored the last bill up for first read to recognize Mary McBernie, secretary for the dean of students office and GSB office manager, for the hard work she does.

“Mary McBernie does a lot for the Government of the Student Body,” he said.

All bills should be on the agenda for next week.