Veishea to get airtime

James Heggen

The Government of the Student Body voted Wednesday to give $4,500 to televise the Veishea parade on KDSM Fox 17.

Veishea will give the remaining $1,500 required for televising the event.

Charles Wakefield, GSB senator and senior in computer engineering, said he was against the bill because he didn’t see the student benefit.”This, at best, would be an incidental benefit to students,” Wakefield said.

Senator Michelle Bohan, graduate student in biochemistry, biophysics and molecular biology-agriculture, said televising the parade would show a positive image of Iowa State.

Nate Johansen, Veishea co-chairman and senior in agriculture business, said it was important to reward the students for all the hard work they have put in for their work on their floats.

“We really want to give them the credit they deserve,” he said.

GSB senator and president-elect Brian Phillips, junior in political science, asked what the process was in choosing Fox 17.

Johansen said Veishea did try to get other stations, but Fox 17 had shown the most interest and had done it in the past.

Senator and vice president-elect Ian Guffy, senior in computer science, said Veishea is about showcasing Iowa State’s culture, which is a high priority to GSB. He said he supported the bill to fund televising the parade.

Senator Rachel Allen, senior in political science, asked if there would be commentators for the parade. Johansen said there would be announcers for the broadcast.

Mitchell Hayek, GSB senator and senior in public service and administration in agriculture, said he was concerned there was not going to be enough advertisement for GSB for funding this amount of money.

Jason Carroll, GSB finance director and graduate student in civil, construction and environmental engineering, said no more finance bills are up, and if GSB were to fund the parade, there would still be money left over in the senate discretionary account. Carroll also said it shouldn’t be about showcasing GSB.

Many senators thought it would be a good way to show a positive image of Veishea after the negative images in the past.

The bill passed by a vote of 25-3-1.

Christopher Hynak, graduate student in accounting, was also seated as an off-campus senator at Wednesday’s meeting.

All of the bills pulled last week during the regular allocations bill were voted on and passed at Wednesday’s meeting. Ames Science Fiction and Fantasy Association, Student Organic Farm, South Sudanese Student Association, Cosplay X Conflagration and International Student Council all had made the changes they were asked to make last week, and easily passed with little discussion. The group Writer’s Bloc’s budget was pulled last week, but no representatives were present. The group then met with the finance committee to discuss what happened. The group’s budget was passed without any changes.

For more coverage of the meeting, go to www.iowastatedaily.net.