Veishea parade may be televised by Fox to houses across state

James Heggen

This year’s Veishea parade may be televised on a Des Moines television station if the bill is passed at Wednesday night’s Government of the Student Body meeting.

According to the bill, KDSM Fox 17 has agreed to broadcast the parade for its viewing area. KDSM is requiring $6,000 for reimbursement for the time slot. Veishea will be paying $1,500 and is asking GSB for $4,500.

Senator Sheena Spurgin, senior in agricultural business, said she authored the bill to get Iowa State and Veishea exposure across Iowa.

Spurgin also serves as the merchandise director for the Veishea committee and said televising the parade may possibly encourage more people to attend future Veishea celebrations.

“It has a lot to do with just getting Iowa State’s name out there,” she said.

Veishea general co-chairman and senior in agricultural business Nate Johansen said he wants to televise the parade so students can be seen.

“It’s exposure for the student groups,” he said.

Johansen said it would also be a good opportunity for those who can’t make it to Veishea to still be able to see the parade.

“It also might generate interest for next year,” he said.

Jason Carroll, Veishea finance director and graduate student in civil, construction and environmental engineering, said this bill would be a good way to show what students are doing to a large audience.

Spurgin said she thought the bill has the capability of passing.

“The more students that we get at Iowa State and the more we get our name out there, the better it will be,” she said. “If the senators think about it in that way, I don’t think that they’ll have a problem passing this bill, especially having it be the end of the senate session.”

Spurgin said she will be graduating this spring and that she hopes to accomplish this before she leaves.

“This will be my last two meetings as I graduate, and to just have another thing that I feel like I helped accomplish as a senator, this would be a great one,” she said.

Carroll said the number of finance bills that come to senate at the end of a senate session vary from year to year and the amount of money available is a factor of how many bills come up and how the bills are voted on. The things being asked for are usually projects.

“I think there’s usually a fair amount of finance bills that come up at the end,” he said.

If the bill passes, the money would come from the senate discretionary fund.

According to GSB bylaws, at the end of the session, all money that is left over in the GSB senate discretionary account carries over into the capital projects account.

Carroll said there isn’t much benefit to saving the money from year to year for the senate currently in session, especially with the capital projects account having so much money at this present time.

“It benefits the next senate in that it gives them a little bit of extra funding to fund a capital item next year,” he said.