Student ambassadors lobby for lower tuition

Kyle Miller

Student body presidents and student groups from the three regent universities assembled at the State Capitol building Thursday for Student Day at the Capitol 2007. The assembly lobbied the legislature to approve a $72.8 million dollar increase to the General Fund, which would lower tuition, increase salary for regent employees and fund research.

According to an ISU Government of the Student Body press release, the cost of tuition for the three regent universities has seen an increase of more than 70 percent since 2000-2001.

The watchword of the event was “tuition” as speakers from Iowa State, the University of Northern Iowa and the University of Iowa all had a chance to share stories about their own student debt loads and the myriad of benefits lowering tuition would have for Iowa.

“We need to invest in higher education and invest in Iowa’s future,” said Government of the Student Body president and senior in political science Emily Jensen. “By and large, the No. 1 issue with [prospective] students is the increase in tuition, with the increase in student debt.”

This environment, Jensen said, has fostered such situations as two academic colleges having to merge, students being required to pay a $200 energy surcharge, student advisors having to oversee more students and worse – sometimes required classes get canceled.

“This $72 million will ensure consistent, predictable and affordable education, more class options, decreased class sizes and students and parents will get the education and cost they deserve,” Jensen said. “We [the Legislature] need to invest in higher education and invest in Iowa’s future.”

Jenny Connolly, a representative from the Board of Regents, spoke about the high need for the legislature to invest more into the students of today, who are currently being “priced out of an education.”

“How are students supposed to do live with this high of a U-bill?” Connolly asked.

Connolly went through a laundry list of the benefits of higher education for graduates and for Iowa, which include better health care, higher wages, a higher chance of civic duty as well as many other benefits. Connolly also said with the aging population, there will be need in the science and engineering fields.

“Students have an opportunity to stay in state and make Iowa a better place,” said Connolly.

State Representative Beth Wessel-Kroeschell, D-Ames, echoed the statements by speakers about the absolute need for the legislature to raise funding for the regent universities.

“I support education from preschool to high school and beyond. We need to make an investment,” said Wessel-Kroeschell.

Wessel-Kroeschell went on to state the funding for regents has been cut by $105 million in a four-year span, but with the proposed $72.8 million, the General Fund, the Salary Bill and research institutions will all see increases.

“Iowa State has been a leader in research, so I have to believe that they’ll get a cut of that [funding],” Wessel-Kroeschell said.

Also present were various student groups from all three regent universities, including the 10,000 Hours Show, the ISU Student Alumni Leadership Council, the Freshmen Council and Dance Marathon.

“I can’t think of better PR resources than students. They all are doing a great job,” Wessel-Kroeschell said.