GSB discusses past, future court condition

James Heggen

Government of the Student Body chief justice and senior in political science Eric Lindstrom made a rare appearance at Wednesday’s GSB meeting to discuss the condition of the court.

When Lindstrom took over as chief justice last semester, he said the court was in bad shape.

“We hadn’t had a case for a long time and worse than that, I don’t know what we would have done if there was a case,” he said.

The biggest problem was that the justices were not familiar with procedures or case laws. Lindstrom said it was a bigger problem than the student population not knowing how to use the court.

“If we don’t know how to use ourselves, we’re all screwed,” he said.

Lindstrom said all of the problems have been significantly improved, but there is still room for improvement.

Many of the court’s problems were solved when Lindstrom found cases dating back to the 1930s and ’40s, which gave the court case law. Lindstrom said the court is prepared for any potential cases.

“If a case were to come tomorrow, we’d be ready for it,” he said.

Right now, the court is becoming familiar with the past cases that were found, Lindstrom said.

“The biggest thing we’re doing now is briefing the cases in the archives,” he said.

GSB senator and senior in finance Tomasz Dworzanski asked what kind of cases the court had had in the past.

“Voting issues seem to be the largest concern,” he said.

Lindstom asked the senate if these types of addresses would be welcome on a regular basis. The senate suggested he make it a monthly event.

Rohini Ramnath, GSB director of diversity, president of the got ignorance? campaign network and senior in political science, stopped by to talk about the got ignorance? campaign. She talked about the history of the campaign, what it’s all about and upcoming events. She said got ignorance? is open to all students.

“We invite people from all backgrounds; all walks of life,” she said.

Jeffrey Rothblum, GSB vice speaker and senior in aerospace engineering, talked about the library survey that will be sent out to students. He said he wanted to get feedback from GSB about the survey, which will go out to 5,000 randomly selected undergraduate students and a proportional number of graduate students. Rothblum went over the survey with the senate, which included the proposed addition of a student fee to support library funding.