GSB supports Rail Jam

James Heggen

The Government of the Student Body allocated at total of $1,960.94 toward student organizations at their weekly meeting Wednesday.

Four new senators were seated at Wednesday’s meeting. Blake Lankford, sophomore in hotel restaurant and institution management, John Jones, freshman in computer engineering, Elizabeth Blaser, senior in Dietetics, Nathan Willis, senior in aerospace engineering all become new GSB senators.

One bill was voted down Wednesday. Funding was asked for by the Student Organic Farm for transportation costs to attend the Growing Power Workshop. It was voted down after it was discovered that funding would only allow one student and one non-student to to attend.

General orders included two bills last night. After postponing the bill asking for funds for the AIDS Walk’s Walk/Run until a representive from the group came to the meeting the bill was passed with little resistence.

Vice-Speaker Jeffrey Rothblum, senior in aerospace engineering, was in favor of approving the bill. He said that although the bill had been tabled a number of times because a group representative did not atttend earlier meetings, he said that GSB should not penalize the group for this.

“I’m in favor of this bill,” he said.

Speaker Jon Richardson, senior in chemical engineering, was also in favor of the bill because of what it stood for.

“This is the kind of cause we want to be helping to promote,” he said.

The bill passed, with a total of $160.94 being allocated.

Two bills under new business had a second read and voted on at the meeting.

The first bill was funding insurence for Rail Jam, an annual event that includes a terrain park on Welch Avenue with snowboarders and skiers performing tricks. The event is set to take place on February 24. Second read was waved because of the timeliness of the situation. The group asked for $1,800 for liability and participant coverage insurance.

Sarah Campbell, senior in civil engineering and president of the organization said that the group had done fundraising on its own as well.

Finance director and graduate student in civil, construction and enviornmental engineering Jason Carroll also said that the group was not eligible for regular allocations, so it did not receive any.

Senator Tom Dworzanski, senior in finance, asked why the group’s request had gone up $800 from last year.

Eric Small, senior in biological/pre-med illustration cq said it was the lowest quote that the group could get.

“It’s insurance,” he said.

Rothblum was in favor of the bill, and was surprised the quote was that low.

“I think it’s a great event, it’s a lot of fun,” he said.

The bill passed, giving the group $1,800 for insurance.

The other bill was to revise the senate apportionment for the upcoming GSB election. The original numbers given to the Election Commission did not include Helser Hall. With the new numbers, one more seat was given to the Inter-Residence Hall Association.

Another bill under new business, requesting a large projection screen to be purchased for organizations to hold large outdoor events. The screen would be manged and taken care by GSB/ITS after questions of intent, the bill was sent back to finance committee.

A bill which will decide whether or not to compensate the Speaker of the Senate was up for first read. It was passed for second read for next week.

Jones and Blaser were also selected for the University Affairs Committee during closing announcements.