Rec improvements proposed

James Heggen

ISU Recreation Services could be getting a face-lift if recommendations from a facilities feasibility study are accepted.

Most of Wednesday night’s GSB meeting was dedicated to the presentation of the feasibility study and improvements to Rec Services facilities.

Paul Brailsford, co-founder CEO of facility planning and program management firm Brailsford and Dunlavey, helped conduct the study and talked about what they tried to achieve for the study. One finding of the study concerned the liveliness of ISU students.

“The first thing that we found is that ISU students are unusually active in recreational pursuits,” Brailsford said.

The study looked at the current conditions of rec facilities. It also tried to utilize student opinion. This included, among many other things, conducting surveys to find out student wishes.

Richard Daspit, of architectural and planning group Cannon Design, explained that the construction budget for the renovation project is $30.9 million. The proposed improvements included an improvement to Lied Recreation Athletic Center, renovations and an addition to State Gym and a minor improvement to Beyer Hall.

Among the possible improvements to State Gym would be the addition of a new pool and getting rid of the old one, said David Body of Cannon Design.

“The pool, which is on life support at this point, will be discontinued and turned into a multipurpose room,” he said.

GSB senator and senior in finance Tom Dworzanski asked if the money for the renovations would be coming from student fees.

Director of Recreation Services Michael Harvey explained the money from this project would come from student fees and outside donations.

Another topic of discussion at the meeting was the student organization recognition policy, which was pushed back and not voted on at the meeting. The new policy can be found at Sac.iastate.edu.

“We will be moving the legislation back,” said Zaal Tonia, GSB senator, chairperson of the University Affairs Committee and senior in physics.

The bill will be an endorsement of the current policy. The policy, of which the eighth draft came out yesterday, addressed many of the concerns that Tonia had mentioned.

GSB also touched on the allocations given to student organizations. The university affairs committee went to the finance committee, which explained that, according to bylaws, no student organization that is not open to all students can receive GSB funding. Because of this policy, Tonia said no additional action needs to be taken toward funding.

Craig Buske, GSB ex-officio City Council liaison and senior in political science, also made an announcement at Wednesday’s meeting. He explained some of the issues the Student Affairs Commission is discussing. He also said, after some research, he will not be recommending 19-year-olds gain admission into bars.

The meeting continued past the Daily’s publication time.