Bills and seating fill GSB meeting

James Heggen

Wednesday night’s Government of the Student Body meeting was filled with the seating of new positions and first reads for new bills.

GSB seated a vacant off-campus senator position at Wednesday’s meeting. Brian Phillips, junior in political science, has returned from a semester abroad and was appointed to the position. Phillips, who was elected last spring but resigned to study abroad, answered questions from the senate before he was seated.

“Why do you want to be on GSB?” said vice speaker and senior in aerospace engineering Jeffrey Rothblum.

Phillips’ response was his love for government and for wanting to work for students.

“I love government stuff; I’m a political science major; that’s what I do,” he said.

The finance committee also filled their open seat at Wednesday’s meeting. Jason Carroll, finance director and graduate student in civil, construction and environmental engineering nominated current finance committee senate-alternate member Adam Krupicka, graduate student in biochemistry, biophysics and molecular biology, to senate member of the committee. The senate-alternate member position was filled by GSB senator Tomasz Dworzanski, senior in finance.

In order to be eligible for finance committee, Dworzanski resigned from the public relations committee. This left GSB senator Charles Wakefield, senior in computer engineering, on the committee. He was later nominated and selected as chairperson for the PR committee.

Phillips was named to a committee on his first night, becoming a member of the PR committee. GSB senators Esha Steffen, senior in biology, Jason O’Leary, junior in mechanical engineering, Jordan Nye, senior in political science and Kelli Huser, junior in environmental science, were seated for the PR committee as well.

There was also an opening on the rules committee that was filled by senator Timothy Reineke, junior in political science.

There were several bills up for first reads. The first three were passed for second reads. Krupicka said a bill, which cleaned up some by-law language to allow GSB to amend the election code, waived second read and was passed. Meeting continued past publication time.