Navigating allocations easier with GSB site

James Heggen

Student groups wishing to be funded will have an easier time navigating the allocations process with the new Government of the Student Body Web site.

Regular allocations are the main source of funding that GSB gives to student organizations said Jason Carroll, GSB finance director and graduate student in civil, construction and environmental engineering. Last year was there was between $1 and 1.2 million allocated.

Only a certain amount can be given out, said Beth Chamberlin, vice chairwoman of the GSB Finance Committee and junior in community and regional planning.

“We just go through each group’s budget and decide how much money we can give each group according to our budget,” she said.

Allocations fund groups such as sports clubs, student services and student organizations.

The allocations come from the student activity fee, Carroll said.

To begin the process, at least one member from an organization wanting allocations must attend one of four informational meetings before the final meeting.

“From there, they build their budget and submit it,” Carroll said.

The next stage is the GSB review process, which starts with the GSB Finance Committee, Carroll said. After this, the senate decides who will get funded and how much.

Regular allocations are very important. For student organizations, it’s a great way to get funding without a lot of work, and students should care where their money is going, Carroll said.

“This is a direct way where students can have input on where their money goes,” he said.

All qualified groups should take advantage of this opportunity, Chamberlin said.

“These funds are here for [the groups], and we encourage [them] to come and apply,” she said.

Any issues students have with the way the money is allocated can be brought up at the Senate meeting, as well as any other meeting.

“They are encouraged to come to Senate and bring up any issues if they feel something is being funded that shouldn’t be, or not being funded that should be,” Carrol said.

Ryan McNair, Freeman Alumni Committee treasurer and senior in management information systems, has been involved in the allocation process for the last few years.

The committee helps put on the Freeman Spring Concert, a yearly outdoor concert in April.

“[At the informational meeting] they go over the funding process and all the criteria and schedule,” he said.

The Freeman Alumni Committee then submits the budget to GSB for review, he said. Then they go before the finance committee to present their budget.

Finance committee members ask questions and makes changes to the budget and submits it to the senate. At the GSB meeting, McNair said there are then more questions from the Senate.

“Then, when the Senate votes it in, we’re funded,” he said.

The money from GSB, which is about 12 to 13 percent of the Freeman Alumni Committee’s budget, is used for expenses ranging from general office supplies to stage rental for the concert, McNair said.

“It gives a pretty easy way for all student organizations to receive money to operate,” he said.

A complete schedule of relevant dates pertaining to allocations can be found on the GSB Web site.