‘Rock for a Cause’

Virginia Zantow

Daily Staff Writer

When was the last time you drank water?

Probably not too long ago. Maybe it was yesterday, or the day before at most. Whenever it was, it was probably pretty clean.

But millions upon millions around the world live with drinking water conditions that are beyond the scope of what most people living here have personally experienced. In fact, according to the World Health Organization, approximately one-half of the world’s hospital beds are occupied by people with water-related health problems.

This weekend, three ISU organizations and two student performers are teaming up to contribute their voices and gifts to a global effort to combat drinking water problems.

The Student Union Board awareness committee is hosting “Rock for a Cause” on Sunday, featuring two ISU musicians, Greg McGrath and Andy Flattery.

McGrath, senior in mechanical engineering, said he’s always wanted to play in the M-Shop and he sees this particular event – the first of its kind for him and Flattery, as well as for the student organizations – as a particularly good opportunity.

“This is the first time my music will be used to promote a better cause,” he said.

McGrath mostly plays original material, using his bass and loop pedal to create what he calls “a full-sounding bass attack.”

He and Flattery, senior in management, have been friends for approximately two years. They occasionally collaborate on material but mostly stick to solo acts.

Flattery, who will also be performing original material, defined his style as something along the lines of the melodic guitar workings of John Mayer, Howie Day and Jack Johnson, with a little more energy.

“I tend to rock out a little bit too,” he said.

When asked to perform in this weekend’s event, he said, he was very flattered.

“I thought it was awesome,” he said. “It sounds like it’s a really cool thing.”

The concert was thought up by SUB awareness, the Student International Medical Aid Club and Students Supporting Health and Recovery Efforts. Proceeds from the event will go directly to Living Water International, an organization that provides filters and pumps to communities worldwide.

“Rock for a Cause” will be one of the first events for SHARE, an organization that has only been on campus since August.

Ashley Hackler, graduate student in psychology, began SHARE after doing recovery work in New Orleans.

It began, Hackler said, with the goal to help Katrina victims, but has since broadened to help victims of disaster both afar and locally. The physical and mental health of people affected by disaster is the group’s main focus.

Katherine Wiegert, president of SIMAC and senior in biology, said she and the other members of the group found they and SHARE had similar goals, so they decided to work together to create “Rock for a Cause.”

SIMAC will collect basic medical supplies at the event as part of its work to connect students studying abroad in developing countries with medical facilities in need of supplies.

Anyone who brings such items as bandages, Tylenol and children’s or adults’ vitamins will receive a $2 reduction off of the $5 entrance fee.

The initial idea to have a concert “for a cause” came from Karin Brandt, senior in political science, of SUB awareness. At a meeting with the three organizations, during a brainstorming session someone suggested focusing specifically on drinking water issues.

Wiegert had worked with Living Water International when she was on a medical mission trip in Honduras, so she said that helped the group decide where to donate the money.

Living Water International, she said, does a lot of work to help promote hygiene and the prevention of disease, and it also gives out individual filters and pumps.

“It’s not really an issue that we’ve focused on before, but I’m glad that we are,” Wiegert said.