Famous Father

Luke Plansky

With seeming indifference, Leslie Hill evaluated her father’s standing in the state of Texas.

“The Cowboys – it’s a big deal I guess,” Hill said.

Tony “Thrill” Hill is known to football fans as the former star of the Dallas Cowboys during their heydays in the ’70s and ’80s. To his daughter, the three-time Pro Bowl wide receiver is better known as the voice yelling from the stands.

Leslie, sophomore forward for the ISU women’s soccer team, was born a month before the end of her father’s career. In a family of athletes, she picked soccer as her sport of choice.

After coming off the bench in all 21 games last season, Hill will get her chance to start on the Cyclones front line this season.

“She has a passion for soccer,” Tony said. “She eats, drinks and sleeps it. Being a professional athlete, that’s what you want.”

Admitting to “always have been kind of tough,” on his daughter, Tony was Leslie’s basketball coach until high school. Because of overlapping schedules, she skipped her freshman season of soccer to play basketball but committed to soccer after that.

She was a member of the three-time state champion club team of Texas, was recruited by and committed to Iowa State.

The youngest of three daughters, Leslie can always tell when her father is in attendance during her games.

“When he comes to the games, he helps me play better because he just yells,” she said. “I mean, you can pick him out of anybody.”

Leslie has long since surpassed her father’s athleticism.

“She moves too fast and too quick for me. I just watch her and yell at her,” Tony said. “Our kids, they know that their dad is at their game. It’s just the coach instinct and a professional attitude.”

Tony said he tries to make it to as many games as possible, but the trip from Texas, his job in the NFL resource department office and his other responsibilities prevent him from doing so. He is the club basketball coach for his son, who is a top-50 prep recruit in the state of Texas. His other daughter, Kelli, plays basketball at Southwestern University.

Tony said he thought Leslie could have excelled in basketball, but has always loved soccer.

“She is gifted . one of the fastest girls in the city. Leslie has just been a blessed child. Her dedication will take her far,” Tony said.

Head coach Rebecca Hornbacher agreed.

“Leslie Hill, there is not a time where she is not giving 100 percent, whether it be in the classroom or the weight room or out in practice,” Hornbacher said. “She works hard all the time. She is extremely coachable. She is a coach’s dream.”

Hornbacher said Hill is one of the most improved players the Cyclones have returning this fall.

“One thing she had before was speed, but we wanted to work on her dynamic ability to create and beat players with her speed,” Hornbacher said. “She is really somebody who I think will be outstanding for us this season.”

Hill scored three goals and had one assist in her freshman campaign. “I’m expecting to score more goals and just be more of an offensive threat [this season],” Hill said.