Ex-officio student seat unfilled for City Council

Erin Magnani

Students may not have a presence at the Ames City Council meeting Tuesday night, as its ex-officio student seat remains unfilled following Andrew Tugan’s departure.

Tugan resigned his position March 22 because he said he did not feel he would be able to adequately fulfill the requirements. Tugan is taking 18 credits, is engaged to be married in May and will be graduating this spring.

Angela Groh, Government of the Student Body president, is expected to nominate a new ex-officio member at GSB’s next meeting Wednesday.

Groh said Tony Borich, GSB College of Design senator, seems to be the best choice of the candidates who applied, as he is a life-long resident of Ames and has served on the Ames Transit Board in addition to the GSB senate. Because of this, Groh said she feels Borich understands what the ex-officio position would entail.

“We really put a lot of effort into choosing who would best represent the university,” she said. “Borich had a lot of good and innovative ideas.”

Ames Mayor Ted Tedesco said Groh may temporarily fill the ex-officio seat during the council meeting Tuesday, as a nomination to the position will not be made until after the council meeting.

The council will vote on the nomination at its April 26 meeting.

“We want one who has energy and an enthusiasm to learn along with the time to devote to the position,” said Councilman Russ Cross.

“Plus one who takes the position with great seriousness and focuses on issues important to students and the whole city.”

A summit with the city’s neighborhood associations will begin the council’s meeting.

“The purpose is to listen to neighborhood leaders and understand their issues and concerns,” Cross said.

“And if there are ways that the city can be more helpful as they try to connect with residents in their areas.”

Tedesco said another purpose of the neighborhood association summit is to make sure there is communication within Ames’ residential areas and to address any proposed plans on neighborhood improvement.

The council will also vote on whether it should grant a class C liquor license to the bar Chasers, 2401 Chamberlain St.

“There has been correspondence from the city attorney that there are unpaid taxes that are owed to the state,” Tedesco said. “He is recommending that this license not be issued.”

Representatives from Chasers could not be reached for comment for this article.

The second reading of an ordinance that would increase the compensation of council members and the mayor is also scheduled for the meeting.

Under the ordinance, council members’ pay would increase from $6,000 to $7,000 and the mayor’s would increase from $7,000 to $8,000.

The ordinance requires a third and final reading to be passed. The last increase was five years ago, Cross said.

“This increase might make it more attractive for people running, but it might not be enough of an increase to make a difference,” Cross said.

The City Council meeting is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers at 515 Clark Ave.