Tugan resigns City Council ex-officio seat

Erin Magnani

The ex-officio student member position on the Ames City Council is now available.

Andrew Tugan, former ex-officio student member of the City Council, held his position on the council from February 2004 to March 2005. The ex-officio participates in every way a council member does except he or she cannot vote, Ames Mayor Ted Tedesco said.

“This gave me the ability to understand and study municipal government that wasn’t available through classes in the student environment,” Tugan said. “New applicants should have a strong interest in city government because most issues aren’t student issues. They are issues that affect everyone in the city.”

Tugan said he resigned because he is taking 18 credits, getting married, graduating and has committed to the Navy.

“I didn’t feel I would be able to meet the requirements or commitments,” Tugan said.

Tugan said he would consider running for an elected council position in the next election if he did not have those commitments.

The ex-officio position has been part of the City Council for almost two and a half years, Tedesco said. Tugan said he thinks the position is useful despite his lack of influence.

“I was listened to quite a bit, but not a whole lot of controversial issues came up during my term,” Tugan said.

“It might have been different if the couch or over-occupancy issues were dealt with during my term.”

The ex-officio member is appointed by the Government of the Student Body, and the City Council formally approves the appointee, said Councilman Steve Goodhue.

Angela Groh, GSB president-elect, said she cannot appoint a new delegate until her inauguration April 11. The new ex-officio member should be approved at the next City Council meeting April 12. Groh said there are applications out, but she knows of only two students who are definitely interested.

If for any reason an appointee is not available for the April 12 meeting, GSB President Sophia Magill said she would temporarily fill the position.

An ex-officio is selected annually and has a term of three years, Groh said.

“There is potential for reappointment,” Groh said.

“We are interested in someone who can carry on for more than one year, but we will take the most qualified applicant regardless.”

Goodhue said the council will discuss making the ex-officio member a voting member, depending on Tuesday’s special election results, which will decide if council terms are shortened to two years or remain at four years.

“As I understand it, the ex-officio can’t be a voting member because they aren’t voted in,” Groh said.

Groh said GSB might turn this position from a cabinet position to a committee position.

With the change, GSB would create its own City Council committee, similar to the Lectures Committee.

The committee would consist of students appointed by GSB, with the ex-officio member acting as chairperson.

His or her role in the City Council would stay the same.

“If it was a committee position, the appointee would get credit for academic internship,” Groh said.

“They would not be necessarily tied to GSB but would still be representing us.”

Tedesco said applicants should be mature and aware of the time commitments because the council does not want to negatively affect the education or school standing of the appointee.