GSB raises concerns on city, student issues to Council members

Erin Magnani

A resolution letter to the City Council is being drafted by the Government of the Student Body senate outlining grievances it said it has concerning the city’s treatment of students.

The purpose of the letter is to demonstrate why students need a stronger voice in city government, said Tony Borich, College of Design senator.

On Tuesday, GSB submitted a petition with more than 700 signatures from ISU students it said was intended to restore fair access to the city government for short-term Ames residents.

Students who signed the petition did so in the hopes that the city of Ames would shorten the four-year term limits for City Council members to two-year terms — making it more feasible for students to serve on the Council.

“People on the senate are upset by the way the Council has responded to the petition,” Borich said. “This basically expresses that the petition was warranted and they should have been more agreeable.”

ISU students comprise nearly half the citizens of Ames, yet no student has been elected to the Ames City Council in more than 50 years.

“This shouldn’t be positioned as a student issue because it’s a bigger issue dealing with a form of government, and we need to see the best form of government,” said Steve Schainker, Ames city manager. ISU student Andrew Tugan is an ex-officio member of the City Council, which allows him to voice opinions on issues, but he cannot vote.

Ames Mayor Ted Tedesco said a non-voting position appointed by GSB was created to open communication lines. Some students, however, indicate that getting a voting peer on the Council is more important.

Proposed changes to term limits have gotten mixed reactions from both students and city officials.

“It would be, quite honestly, a step backwards or a regression in modernizing the city government,” Tedesco said.

“If you look back at the history of our city, in 1954 we voted to go to four-year terms [from two-year terms] in order to create continuity.” Schainker said he agrees with Tedesco. “There is nothing right now that prevents students for running for a four-year term,” Schainker said. “New term lengths won’t guarantee students will be elected, and I’m not sure this makes it easier for students.”

GSB Speaker of the Senate Henry Alliger said students would be more interested in serving on City Council if the terms coincided with their college stay.

“We wouldn’t like to see freshman entering the City Council, but a junior or senior with two years left would be appropriate,” Alliger said.

There are benefits and drawbacks from each side.

“There are certain ramifications, like the learning curve, continuity of policy and lack of institutional knowledge,” Schainker said.

The learning curve for a Council member is typically two years, Tedesco said.

“I have some deep concerns [about the learning curve] because if it takes even two years, then only half the members have enough knowledge to make decisions about the community,” Alliger said. “So then the entire first term they should potentially not be voting and are essentially entirely ineffective.”

Borich said one way to deal with the learning curve would be to have the Council better supported by staff to guide newer members through the processes.

Policy continuity is another major issue brought up by current members of the Council.

“Continuity is important when dealing with policies because there is a period of time for design and implementation,” Schainker said. “And if the whole Council turns over, which is a possibility, then there is another possibility of the policy going in a different direction than originally intended.”

The vote is scheduled for April 5 and will be held in conjunction with a referendum on a proposed hotel/motel tax increase.