Senator’s display at GSB meeting an isolated event

Tom Barton

Government of the Student Body officials, as well as ISU and city of Ames officials, said the happenings at the March 9 GSB meeting were an isolated event.

Abby LaCombe, off-campus senator, admitted to being drunk at the meeting.

ISU and Ames officials said LaCombe’s actions are not representative of GSB and should have no effect on GSB’s operations or image on campus.

“It happens; students occasionally do stupid things. GSB senators are human. They make mistakes. This is why we have a senate of 38 people and not one,” said William Rock, GSB vice president.

LaCombe has apologized to GSB officials for her disruptive behavior and said she will draft a formal letter apologizing to the senate. She could not be reached for further comment.

Senators said they were doubtful the incident would merit an investigation, as could be prescribed under GSB by laws.

“As long as it doesn’t happen again, I don’t think it will be a problem,” Rock said. “I highly doubt she would be removed, especially with five weeks left in the session.”

GSB Liberal Arts and Sciences senator James Vogl, a member of the GSB Rules Committee, said it is unlikely the committee will investigate, but will meet Monday to discuss possible courses of action.

The Daily reported March 10 that the meeting was “disorganized and disorderly” — descriptions GSB senators and others in attendance said are inaccurate.

The same Daily article also said Speaker of the Senate Henry Alliger repeatedly miscounted votes. Alliger was at the bar Cy’s Roost, 124 1/2 Welch Ave., with LaCombe and other GSB representatives before the meeting.

At the meeting, Alliger was sober, and, according to GSB minutes, he only miscounted one vote. During a vote on a bill that received 18 “yes” votes and 4 “no” votes, he announced that the bill had failed. Alliger said it was a slip of the tongue.

“I screw up at least one vote a week and I don’t drink at all,” Rock said.

Alliger said he expects a public statement to be made about appropriate behavior at the next GSB meeting Wednesday.