Forum to address spring event future

Josh Nelson

An open forum to address concerns about the future of spring events like Veishea is planned for noon Wednesday in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.

Dean of Students Pete Englin and Vice President for Student Affairs Thomas Hill are scheduled to moderate the forum about Veishea, which was suspended for 2005 after an April 2004 riot in Campustown.

The riot caused more than $100,000 in damages.

Hill said the forum is part of a larger process of gathering more information to help university officials decide what students think about any future events.

At its Jan. 26 meeting, the Government of the Student Body voted unanimously in favor of a “spring celebration.” Hill said he did not know any details about the proposed celebration, but did know the university would be involved.

“I don’t know how big it will be, or if it will be one weekend, or spread out over several weekends,” he said.

“All of those things are possible.”

Both Hill and Englin met with GSB at the January meeting and said they have both planned other meetings with other student groups.

GSB design senator Tony Borich said a proposed survey of students regarding the cause of the April 18 riot would help collect more student input.

“I don’t think it’s ever bad to solicit people’s opinions,” he said. “I’m pretty hopeful we’re going to get some good comments.”

Jeff Johnson, president of the ISU Alumni Association, said he was also helping with the information-gathering process.

The meetings, Johnson said, are intended to get as many people involved in the decision-making process as possible.

“If people don’t take advantage of that, then they have to live with the decisions that are being made,” he said.

The city is also planning a similar forum for Feb. 28 at City Hall.

Ames Mayor Ted Tedesco said many community members were vocal about the events following the April 18 Veishea riot.

There were community members and leaders on the Veishea task force, Tedesco said, but average residents have not gotten a chance to voice their opinions.

“We don’t want to talk about what happened or the causes, we want to talk about the future,” he said.

Hill said no decision has been made yet about a 2006 celebration, but he said current feedback has been positive.

“I don’t know, it’s hard to say,” he said. “If student reaction is any indicator, I’d say ‘Yes.'”

A town hall meeting is scheduled for March 7 to gather more information.

The meeting will be held before ISU President Gregory Geoffroy makes an announcement about the future of the spring event.

Johnson said he plans to moderate the meeting.

Hill said he expected Geoffroy to make the announcement after the meeting, but could not give a specific time frame.

The Veishea open forum Wednesday is expected to ask five questions to elicit student opinions:

• Are there any points in either the task force or the commission report that you would like to express an opinion on?
  • Should Iowa State or Ames continue to have a spring festival of some type?
  • If a decision is to continue a spring festival of some type, what are you (or the group you represent) willing to do to ensure its success?
  • Do you have any input you would like to offer that you believe will assist the leadership in making a decision on the future of a spring festival at Iowa State?
  • The Division of Student Affairs has been charged with providing activities in April 2005 that will still allow students to enjoy and celebrate. The proposed structure includes enhanced publicity for planned and future events for each weekend in April (other than the weekend before Finals Week). Do you have suggestions about this structure? Do you have suggestions for what to name this series of events?

— Source: Government of the Student Body Executive Council