Extended family

Amanda Ouverson

Editor’s note: This is the second in a series of two articles profiling redshirt junior basketball player Katie Robinette.

Balancing a very full plate of time commitments — basketball, motherhood and school work — seems like a daunting task, but Katie Robinette doesn’t do it all on her own.

She has a vast support system to help her take care of her son, Caden, consisting of Caden’s father, Ryan Kock, family, friends, teammates and coaches.

“Ryan, definitely, has been the best,” Robinette said. “He does as much as I do, if not more. He does a lot for me.”

Robinette grew up in South Sioux City, Neb., and Kock, a fullback on the ISU football team, is from Lohrville. Having both sets of their parents close by has helped to ease their transition into parenthood.

“His parents are an hour away, and mine are three hours away,” Robinette said. “They come to all the games and come down whenever we need them to.”

When Robinette and Kock are at class or practice, the couple takes Caden to a local baby-sitter.

“It was so stressful finding a baby-sitter and making sure she wasn’t weird or anything,” Robinette said. “[Our baby-sitter] has been really great.”

Even offensive lineman Luke Vander Sanden has gotten some baby-sitting action. Vander Sanden watches Caden during the week if Robinette has an away game and if Kock has a late workout.

Vander Sanden said a friendship grew between him and Kock when they were roommates last year.

“Being a student-athlete myself, I know how hard it is to manage time,” Vander Sanden said. “I find some free time, but to see [Katie and Ryan] out doing stuff, being student-athletes and good parents, it’s just amazing.”

Kock said Vander Sanden’s support has been “big time.”

“I don’t know what we’d do without Luke,” Kock said. “His help has meant a lot to us.”

Robinette said managing time and money are two of the most difficult aspects of balancing the roles of motherhood and student-athlete.

“I’d say it’s been more stressful since school started. I was here over all of Christmas break, and I didn’t have to worry about school at all,” Robinette said. “All I had to do was go to practice. Just trying to get everything organized and trying to get a schedule figured out [has been hard].”

Kock also said managing time was the biggest challenge he faced.

“[It’s tough] making sure you get everywhere you have to,” Kock said.

Besides the basketball court, another place where Robinette feels at ease is in the comfort of her own home.

“When I’m away from home, and I can’t spend time with Ryan or Caden, that’s when things get more stressful,” Robinette said. “Being at home with those two is therapeutic.”

Becoming a mother at a relatively young age has made Robinette appreciate the simpler things in life.

“Obviously, things that used to be important to me aren’t as important,” Robinette said. “I just think Caden has put things into perspective. I realize that if I’m not the best basketball player on the court, it doesn’t matter.”

Even Robinette’s teammates have seen a change in her behavior.

“[Katie’s] become a lot more responsible,” junior forward Mary Fox said. “I think she’s grown up a lot and matured. She realizes what the most important things in her life are now.”

Kock said his priorities have also changed. The thing that impresses him the most about Robinette is her poise.

“[Katie] has a lot of responsibility,” Kock said. “She’s got a lot to handle, and she does it very well.”

ISU women’s basketball head coach Bill Fennelly said considering the circumstances, Robinette should be considered a role model for someone already in the same position.

“Whether you agree or disagree, you have to give Katie credit for fighting through some things,” Fennelly said. “It’s hard enough to be a student-athlete, and now you’re a student-athlete and a mother. I think that’s a pretty big thing to put on someone’s plate.”

Robinette is on track to graduate from Iowa State and finish her basketball career. Fennelly said accomplishing those things would give Robinette an opportunity to show Caden he can get through anything life throws his way.

“It may not be the way you scripted out your life, but that’s the way life is. You either complain about it and feel sorry for yourself, or you make the most of it,” Fennelly said. “I think [Katie’s] definitely made the most of it. She’s very proud of [Caden] and she should be.”

The photo gallery