COLUMN: Candidate would work with students

Mary Ann Lundy

I have been an Ames resident since 1969. My husband, Paul, is an engineer for the Department of Natural Resources. We have raised two sons, Erik and Karl, here in this community.

I have received two degrees from Iowa State — in 1981 I received a B.S. in industrial administration, and in 1994 I received an M.B.A. I am a certified public accountant and currently work as an accountant/office manager for Benson Motor and teach economics and finance part-time for William Penn University.

I have previously been chairwoman of the Ames Historic Preservation Commission and am currently serving on the Zoning Board of Adjustment. I have also been on the Ames Chamber of Commerce Local Issues Committee. Involvement in these things led me to become interested in seeking a seat on the City Council.

There are three long-term goals for my campaign. First, I want to maintain or improve our quality of life through education, the environment, social services, medical care and recreational and cultural activities. Second, I would like to foster reasonable, planned economic development residentially, commercially and industrially. Third, I would like to obtain an adequate supply of affordable housing for all citizens.

In addition, my short-term goals are to facilitate channels for dialogue between students and other citizens and promote a sense of community for all citizens of Ames.

Working with students is enjoyable. I have taught college classes for more than 20 years and find much can be learned from students. This fall I had the opportunity to work with students helping in the community. One Saturday in October found a group of women from Sigma Kappa sorority volunteering to help with the Alzheimer’s Memory Walk. The next weekend, many ISU students helped with and participated in the FACES celebration in downtown Ames. I think too often we hear about the negative things and don’t learn about the positive.

If elected to the Ames City Council, I will listen to students as well as the “permanent” citizens of Ames. I will work for issues they are interested in — affordable housing, maintaining CyRide and providing a safe and interesting community. I would also be willing to be a liaison to GSB if the invitation were so extended.