Department of Residence eliminates 21 student jobs

Emily Oliver

A Department of Residence representative announced the elimination of student positions due to the budget deficit at the Inter-Residence Hall Association meeting Thursday.

John Shertzer, IRHA adviser and residence life coordinator for the Department of Residence, said the positions of approximately 21 desk assistants throughout the residence halls will be eliminated to save money.

The only exception of eliminating desk assistants may be Knapp Hall due to the low number of students working there, Shertzer said.

The Department of Residence will also cut back on hall desk and dining service hours, Shertzer said.

The hall desk hours will vary by each residence hall desk.

Randy Alexander, director of the Department of Residence, said he was aware that positions would be eliminated, but that it was not his area and was not aware of the details.

Shertzer said he does not know how many hours or what dining service hours will be reduced at this time.

Also at Thursday’s IRHA meeting, Kyle Perkins, Towers Residence Association president and author of a bill allocating $1,000 to the Government of the Student Body to get more residence hall students to vote in elections, said there has been a low turnout of residence hall students who vote in elections.

Students who live in Union Drive Association and Richardson Court Association can vote in the fourth ward and at-large districts, said Drew Miller, chairman of the voting committee for GSB.

It’s important to reach the freshmen in residence halls because they may be the most apathetic about voting, he said.

Perkins said a committee of four people from residence halls will be made up to help make decisions with the GSB voting drive.