No fireworks display for Residence Hall Week

Emily Oliver

At its first meeting of the year Thursday, the Inter-Residence Hall Association discussed plans for the upcoming Residence Hall Week.

Residence Hall Week will occur at the end of October this year.

Autumn Hare, director of special events, said she hopes IRHA will be able to incorporate community service into Residence Hall Week.

“We want to play off what they do during homecoming week,” Hare said.

By having residence hall students participate in a community service project during Residence Hall Week, students get a chance to help people in the community at a time other than homecoming, Hare said.

“Hopefully we’ll do a city-wide community service project at the end of Residence Hall Week,” she said.

The events will be held around the residence halls, she said.

“[IRHA will] try and have each residence association have an event that is centered around their area on campus,” Hare said.

This Residence Hall Week will be different as there will be no fireworks, Hare said. The city of Ames requires three months notification prior to the fireworks in order for a display to be held, a deadline not met by IRHA.

Laurie Tope, director of academic affairs, said she would like IRHA to sponsor a scholarship program and have different study sessions in the residence halls.

Keith Dahlby, director of information technology, said the new IRHA Web site should be up and running by the end of September.

Adviser John Shertzer reminded IRHA members of their role at the university.

“You all are critical to the success of the residence halls, you are the voice of the students,” Shertzer said to the students attending the meeting.

Shertzer said the Department of Residence appreciates criticism if members of IRHA also bring forth an idea to make it better.

“I am looking forward to a productive year,” Shertzer said.

Union Drive Association President Danny Short said an important way for IRHA to get their name into the university community is through funding.

“I don’t think we should be quite as stingy [with funding this year],” Short said. “Everybody knows GSB is a big funding body and everybody respects them because they help people.

“I don’t know if anyone really knows what IRHA does,” he added.

Heather Minish, current leadership adviser, said the Cy’s All Campus Leadership Conference will be held Sept. 20. The cost is $10 per person, she said.

Shertzer said he would like to see more students from the residence halls attend the leadership conference than have in previous years.

“Get the word out and get them there,” he said.

A dedication ceremony for the new Union Drive Community Center was also announced at the meeting. The dedication will be held at 3 p.m. Sept. 5 at the UDCC.