Haluska will join former teammates in Iowa City

Jeff Raasch

He grew up a Hawkeye and now he is one.

Adam Haluska, who rooted for Iowa before committing to former ISU head coach Larry Eustachy during his sophomore year at Carroll High School, will join the Iowa basketball program next season.

Haluska was granted an unconditional release from Iowa State on May 28, just eight days after saying he wanted to remain in Ames. He visited the Iowa campus over the weekend and decided late Monday to join the Hawkeyes.

The 6-foot-5 Haluska must sit out next season due to NCAA transfer rules, but will be reunited with former AAU teammates Jeff Horner and Greg Brunner on the court in the 2004-05 campaign. He will have three years of eligibility remaining.

“Adding an all-around athlete like Adam is a bonus for our program,” Iowa coach Steve Alford said. “He is an outstanding athlete who can help our basketball team in a number of ways. He will have the advantage of learning our system for one season, and his experience as a freshman in the Big 12 proves he has the talent and skill to have an outstanding career. We look forward to the addition of another outstanding player from the state of Iowa to our program.”

With the Cyclones last season, Haluska started all 31 games, averaging 9.2 points and 3.6 rebounds per game.

Haluska told the Daily Monday he “got sick of the whole basketball deal” at Iowa State as the men’s basketball program went through one of the most tumultuous seasons in its history. Eustachy resigned last month after reports surfaced about his questionable behavior following two road losses. Assistant coach Randy Brown also resigned earlier in the season after child pornography charges.

Four players on last season’s squad were arrested since last summer — two for alcohol offenses and two for possession of marijuana — and another was charged with serious assault before later pleading guilty to a lesser charge.