GSB to vote on fund transfer enabling coverage of parade

Tom Barton

Although KCCI will not broadcast the Veishea parade this year, television viewers will still be able to tune into the show if a funding bill is passed by the Government of the Student Body.

The GSB senate will vote on the bill at their regular meeting on Wednesday to determine if $4,000 from the discretionary account will be allocated to the Veishea Committee. The funding is needed to help the committee pay KDSM (Channel 17) for coverage of the parade.

Kerryann Mehmen, general co-chairwoman of the Veishea Committee and senior in agricultural education, said the Veishea parade has been televised by KCCI for years, but the station backed out of its agreement in January to provide television coverage of this year’s parade, due to lack of manpower needed to cover the event.

Mehmen said Veishea committee members contacted TV stations throughout central Iowa after they were informed of KCCI’s decision. She said through one of their personal contacts, they were able to reach an agreement with KDSM.

Mehmen said the agreement reached with KDSM will cost the Veishea committee $4,000, which she said was originally going to cost $12,000.

“[KCCI’s decision to back out] was unexpected. We hadn’t counted on this happening, and likewise we didn’t count on having to pay $4,000 for coverage,” said Cory Bailey, general co-chairman of Veishea and senior in agricultural business.

“We just didn’t figure something like with this into our budget, and I think we have a legitimate reason to bring this bill to GSB because it’s a positive thing for Iowa State,” he said.

Ben Albright, GSB College of Agriculture senator and GSB vice president-elect, drafted the bill. “I would hope the bill will pass at tomorrow’s meeting because I feel it’s in the best interest of students,” he said. “TV coverage of the Veishea parade doesn’t just benefit a large number of students, but Ames and surrounding communities as well.”

Bailey said GSB should pass the bill because coverage of Veishea helps publicize and recognize Iowa State and students.

The regular meeting of the Government of the Student Body will be held at 7 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.