Students compete for ‘Oscars’ of collegiate theater

Stephanie Yost

For professional actors and filmmakers, winning an Academy Award is the pinnacle of achievement. But for several ISU students, being nominated for an award at the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival is one of the highest honors a young thespian can receive.

Each year, 18,000 students compete from colleges and universities across the United States in the festival through state, regional and national competitions.

The festival gives theater departments and students the opportunity to showcase their work and dedication to the performing arts. Competing students can receive awards and scholarships in playwriting, acting, criticism, directing and design. Workshops are also held for students and professors to learn about their craft and to strengthen skills in their particular fields.

“It’s a fun time for all of us to get together,” says Clayton Johnson, sophomore in performing arts. “It’s a great way to meet people and improve your personal style, [whether it be] acting or designing. There’s something for everyone.”

During the regional festival, which is held Jan. 21-26 at the University of Northern Iowa, two ISU students were chosen to advance to the semifinal round.

Langley Neely, senior in performing arts, displayed his acting skills by performing an individual monologue.

The piece was from “Six Degrees of Separation,” a play Neely performed in for ACTORS Community Theatre, 120 Abraham Dr., last semester.

Neely had two chances to perform during the semifinal round of the festival. Along with the monologue, he acted out a scene with his friend and roommate Michael Dahlstrom, graduate student in biochemistry, biophysics and molecular biology.

They performed a scene from “DMV Tyrant,” a piece written by playwright Christopher Durang, Neely says. Although the duo didn’t make it past the semifinals, Neely says they were happy to have been chosen to advance to the level they did in the competition.

“Losing was fine by us,” Neely says. “We were really shocked and surprised to have passed on that far.”

Neely was nominated for the festival for his performance in the ISU Theater production of “The Laramie Project” last semester.

“Each show we produce gets adjudicated by outside professors from other colleges, and two people are selected to compete the next January at the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival,” Neely says.

Not all students who participate in the festival have to be nominated, however. Any student, whether or not he/she is a performing arts major, can be involved, Johnson says.

“Anyone can participate in the workshops, [but a student] has to be chosen for the competition [portion of the festival].”

Unlike Neely, who participated in the acting portion of the competition, Johnson displayed his set design skills.

“I did scenic design for a show for a class project,” Johnson says. “I didn’t win anything, but I did get a lot of feedback from different educators there.”

Though the competition is over and both students have moved on to other projects, Johnson says the knowledge and experience he gained from his first year of competition at the festival was worthwhile.

“I thought it was a good experience and I learned a lot,” Johnson says. “Personally, it really helped me to know what other people are doing right now, as far as what plays are hot right now and what designs are popular.”