Banasiak, Albright win

Natalie Spray

Michael Banasiak and Ben Albright will serve as president and vice president of the Government of the Student Body beginning in April.

They won the executive slate race by a vote of 1,395 votes, with a spread of 305.

The close number of votes shows each of the slates worked hard, said Election Commissioner Sam Umbach.

All of the executive slates said they were glad to see a high voter turnout.

A total of 4,121 students voted in the elections, compared to the approximate 2,800 students who voted last year.

Albright said he was shocked by the results when he saw how high the voter turnout was.

“It took a second for it to sit in [that Banasiak and I had won], but it got my heart going,” Albright said.

As president and vice president, Banasiak and Albright will try to be approachable for other GSB members, and hope the elected senate will return the favor, Albright said. Banasiak was not there to comment.

The first thing the slate will work toward is appointing a motivated and qualified cabinet, Albright said.

Shawn Faurote and Vicky Lio received 1,230 votes.

Faurote said although he was disappointed in the results of the elections, he knows Banasiak and Albright will do a good job.

“It is an accomplishment in itself to have so many students vote,” Lio said.

Matt Denner and Jonathan Mullin received 1,087 votes. Denner was elected off-campus senator by 45 votes, and said he will accept the seat and remain involved with GSB.

“We lost the battle, but we will win the war,” he said.

Current Off-Campus Senator Dan Kline said the block of seats Denner and students who support his ideas have won through the election will make the senate interesting.

“Who knows what their plans are for senate,” he said.

The write-in of “Abolish GSB” gained two votes on the executive slate, to which the crowd applauded thunderously.

The Senate race

The following students won senate seats. Write in candidates may choose to not accept the position as senator.

* The Frederiksen Court Area Senator will be David Leege, who received 268 votes.

* The Union Drive Association Senator will be the write-in candidate of Alan Johnson, who received 60 votes.

* The Towers Residence Association Senator will be Colleen A. Prosser, who won with 264 votes.

* Karla Hardy and Jeremy Schweitzer will serve as Richardson Court Association senators. They received 419 and 369 votes, respectively.

* The University Apartment Committee senator race was won by Tyrell Carr, with two write-in votes.

* Robert Baptiste will serve as senator for the Interfraternity Housing Area with Joshua Anderson. Baptiste won with 146 votes and Anderson received eight write-in votes.

* The Panhellenic Housing Area Senator will be the candidate Sophia Magill, who received 158 votes.

* William Rock, Nate Eagles and Casey Harvey received 593,542 and 534 votes respectively for Off-Campus senator.

* The remaining eight apportioned seats were won by write-in candidates Jacob Larson, Chelsea Lepley, Matt Denner, Andrew John Miller, Nicholas M. Swaggert, Cara Harris and Nicholos Wethington.

* Erik J. Christian and Henry F. Alliger will be the College of Agriculture senators. They received 298 and 246 votes, respectively.

* The College of Business Senators will be Shawn Montague and Carlyn R. Goebel with votes of 349 and 312 respectively.

* The College of Design Senator will be Allison Carr, who received 14 write-in votes.

* The College of Education Senator will be Sean Peterson, who received three write-in votes.

* The College of Engineering Senators will be Leia Gucionne, Brandon Judas and Jennie Erwin, who received 577, 556 and 523 votes, respectively.

* The College of Family and Consumer Sciences Senator will be Mary Linnenbrink, who received three write-in votes.

* The College Liberal Arts and Sciences Senators will be Tony Luken, James A. Vogl, Andrew Tugan and David R. Breutzmann, who received 713, 651, 622 and 621 votes, respectively.

* The College of Veterinary Medicine Senator will be Michelle Andersen, who received 24 of the 28 write-in votes.

* The Graduate Student Senators will be Dan Christenson, Jason Stonerook and Pat Kriby, who each received six write-in votes.