Schneider uses veto in budget balancing

Natalie Spray

Government of the Student Body President T.J. Schneider used his veto power for the second time in his term Saturday evening.

The bill Schneider vetoed would have transferred the entire balance of the Fall Event Account to the Regular Allocations Account. The initiative was one of four created as a means of balancing the $175,000 budget deficit. The legislation was approved by the senate on March 12 with a vote of 27-7-0.

That night, Schneider said he would veto two pieces of legislation, the bill involving the Fall Event Account as well as another bill that takes unspent student organization money — which is normally transferred to the Special Projects Account — and would have placed it in the Student Activity Fee Account.

After legislation is acted upon by the senate, the speaker of the senate has three academic days to attest to it. After the legislation has been attested to, the president has six days to act.

On March 16, Towers Residence Association Senator and Speaker of the Senate Tony Luken attested to the legislation presented to the senate on March 12.

Schneider said he choose to not veto the legislation transferring unspent student organization money after reflection upon the bill. Schneider did not change his decision to veto the bill involving the Fall Event Account.

“I do not want to cut [funding for] student organizations,” he said.

Schneider said he vetoed the bill because “there are other avenues that allow for flexibility.”

Schneider said he thinks the $18,000 that would have been transferred from the Fall Event Account should be taken from the Special Projects Account.

The Fall Event Account was created by Schneider and GSB Vice President Joe Darr in the fall of 2002 to fund the Fall Event Series, which brought two comedians to campus.

The Special Projects Account has about $300,000. As part of a plan presented by the GSB Finance Committee to balance the budget, $45,000 has been transferred from the Special Projects Account to regular allocations. If another $18,000 is transferred, the account’s balance will be around $237,000.

Schneider said he has never seen student organizations request more than $190,000 on capital items in one term. The Special Projects Account funds those request capital items.

Luken said the money in the Special Projects Account is unspent student fees money left from previous years.

At least six student organizations have contacted Luken asking him how they can receive more money. Organizations were told to request funding from the Senate through Special Projects.

Luken said he believes the money left in Special Projects should be spent on capital items that will stay around for all students to use.

“The [Fall Event] deserves an opportunity to succeed,” he said.

The next administration should be allowed the opportunity to decide whether or not the fall event should continue, Schneider said.

If the senate was to take funding from the Fall Event Account and the money is not replaced, Schneider said he thinks the event will fail. It will be more difficult to transfer money back into the account than it is to take the money out, he said.