Government of the Student Body debates cabinet position

Natalie Spray

A power struggle between the Government of the Student Body senate and the executive cabinet ensued Wednesday night when a bill to restructure the director of informational technology position on the GSB executive council was presented and failed by a vote of 16-9-3.

The proposed bill would have struck the position from the GSB bylaws and allowed for GSB President T.J. Schneider to create a staff position to fulfill the technological needs of the GSB office.

The positions of staff Webmaster and staff informational technology administrator have already been created and filled by Schneider.

“The fact the positions have already been filled shows a lack of respect for the senate,” said Dan Kline, off-campus senator.

Kline encouraged other senators to not support the bill as a “means of maintaining the senate’s check on the executive position.”

Speaker of the Senate Tony Luken said he was concerned these staff positions would have access to all senate files.

After it was established the initiative would not be rewritten to include an approval of the candidate chosen to fill the position, Vice Speaker of the Senate David Leege expressed concern.

“Should we not have a say in the person who works for us?” he said.

Schneider defended his actions by defining the roles of the director of information technology and of the newly created staff positions.

“There is no need for a cabinet position who speaks with committees,” he said. “[Our problems] are internal and don’t have to do with the university.”

In other actions, Senator Nicholas Dahlgren resigned from his position as senator of the Interfraternity Council. The Interfraternity Council selected Robert Baptiste to fill the seat and was approved with unanimous consent by the GSB Senate.

The ISU Baseball Club was denied funding for the purchase of bleachers by a vote of 25 to 7.

Senator Kline expressed opposition to the bill due to the fact the club was formed last spring and has a traveling team of 19 members.

Senators Casey Harvey, Will Rock and Ben Talyor were unsatisfied with the club’s fundraising prior to requesting GSB funding. Other possible sources of revenue were addressed by each senator.

“The group didn’t do their homework,” said Andy Walling, director for campus awareness.

A senate bill to transfer money from two unused accounts into the Regular Allocations Account as a means of decreasing the $75,000 budget deficit passed by a vote of 31 to 0.

The bill to express student opposition to changes in the University Calendar was postponed for two weeks to ensure senators are accurately representing their constituents.