Missed deadlines mean funding challenges for campus organizations

Natalie Spray

At least five ISU student organizations will not be funded by the Government of the Student Body for the 2003-2004 academic year during regular allocations due to missed deadlines.

All campus organizations were required to submit budget proposals to the GSB office no later than noon Jan. 12, the late deadline.

The Drummer, the Korean Student Association, Time for Peace, the ISU chapter of Amnesty International and the Egyptian Student Association all missed the regular allocation application deadline.

GSB Finance Director David Boike said he extended the deadline in addition to sending an e-mail to each of the groups’ treasurers. The e-mail included the approaching deadline date as well as what was required of the groups to be considered for GSB funding, he said.

Hun-Sub Jeong, president of the Korean Student Association and graduate student in entomology, said he is disappointed the group will receive no money from GSB.

Jeong said the group’s treasurer did receive an e-mail from a GSB representative. “It feels like a part [of the problem] is our fault,” he said.

The Korean Student Association is still in need of finances, but the group is unsure about where it will find future funds, Jeong said.

The treasurer for The Drummer, a student publication, wasn’t receiving the e-mails about scheduled dates for allocation, said Drummer President Jonathan Goetz. As a result, Goetz said, The Drummer missed the budget deadline. Goetz said he became aware of the deadline and went to the finance committee two to three days before the set date.

Goetz said he believes The Drummer does have some money in reserve. Most likely The Drummer will not be in a magazine format next fall; rather, it will publish in a format that is less expensive. The Drummer will probably go to press once next fall, then possibly receive some funding through GSB Special Allocations, he said.

“[The Drummer is focusing] on this year and will tackle next year when it comes,” he said.

Goetz said he is not placing blame on any one thing. He said he has placed some of the blame on himself, but does question the bureaucracy of Iowa State.

Time for Peace was not initially planning on applying for funding, but decided it could be a good idea late into the application process, said Nicholos Wethington, Time for Peace treasurer and Daily staff writer.

The organization was denied application for funding because they did not complete the entire process, he said.

“I’m not extremely upset, but I thought it would have been nice of them to help us out,” he said.

Time for Peace has not applied for aid since it was formed Sept. 11, 2001. The group will continue to raise its own money and operate as an “out-of-pocket organization,” he said.

After the deadline had passed, Boike made an executive decision to not bend the rules and allow the groups to apply for aid, even after missing the second deadline.

“They did not meet the requirements of GSB regular allocations,” he said.

The groups were allowed to “plead their cases” with the GSB finance committee during its regularly scheduled meeting Feb. 10, but the committee supported Boike’s decision, he said.

Boike said most of these groups can charge more in dues to make up for the lack of GSB funding.

“I tried to do everything I could to help these groups,” Boike said.