GSB pushing for student seat on Ames City Council

Natalie Spray

If a landmark initiative is passed by the Government of the Student Body senate, ISU students will be a step closer to having their own voice on the Ames City Council.

The GSB senate presented a bill Wednesday in support of a new initiative created by Ames Mayor Ted Tedesco.

The City Council initiative presented by Tedesco, if passed, will designate a student member to a non-voting seat on the council. The position will be filled by the GSB president or his or her designee. If passed, the GSB bill will be given to the members of the City Council in hopes they will support the initiative.

Students are represented on the City Council by their place of residence. Those representatives have a voting seat on the council. An additional representative is beneficial to students because students who are uncomfortable or nervous speaking with a council member may find ease in speaking with a fellow student, said GSB President T.J. Schneider.

The position will be more of a “communication vehicle” between council members and ISU students, Schneider said.

Students may not be aware of the debate and passage of city ordinances or have the time available to lobby the City Council, Schneider said.

Having a student voice on council would allow students to be aware of issues affecting them before it becomes too late to take action. Such controversial issues that could have been addressed by a student representative include an over-occupancy ordinance and “liquor buffet” issues, he said.

The new representative could recommend options and present ideas to the council, although he or she would not have voting privileges.

The presence of a student at City Council meetings may push the student opinion to the forefront in the minds of council members, said Dan Kline, off-campus senator and co-author of the initiative.

Schneider said he believes a student voice will help eliminate some students’ belief that the City Council is apathetic toward their needs.