GSB votes to support NAACP

Natalie Spray

After heated debate the Government of the Student Body Senate passed a bill to sponsor the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People by purchasing a table at the organization’s Freedom Fund Banquet.

Ten members of GSB, selected by President T.J. Schneider, will attend the banquet in the Scheman Building on Jan. 31. The purchase cost $300.

“[The Freedom Fund Banquet] is a celebration of university and community accomplishments for staff and students of color,” said Peter Englin, dean of students, who said he is planning to attend the banquet.

The senate debated whether to support the NAACP through its attendance at the banquet but the issue was resolved with a vote of 16-3-2 in favor of the initiative.

David Leege, senator for Frederiksen Court Association, said he would rather increase campus diversity by spending GSB money directly on campus events, activities and organizations.

Myron Batsa, GSB director for diversity, spoke strongly in favor of attending the dinner.

“Never is there a [better] opportunity to see how black people affect the community,” he said.

GSB is showing students it is active and involved with ISU students through its presence at the banquet, said Dan Kline, GSB senator for the College of Education and co-author of the initiative.

“The presence of GSB [at the Freedom Fund Banquet] says we support the organization, we support what they do, we support their existence and we believe in what they’re doing,” he said.

Participation in campus events helps to ensure GSB is aware of the needs, thoughts and issues important to the student body, said Schneider, senior in management information systems.

“[Those who attend the banquet] may see the world from a different point of view simply by attending [the banquet],” Englin said.

In other business, a senate bill to appoint allocation of funds in the Fall Event Account passed by a vote of 22-5-0.

A senate bill to eliminate conflicts among senators who serve as executives as their constituency councils failed with a vote of 11-17-2. This bill was almost an exact replica of an initiative which also failed to pass on April 10, 2000, with a vote of 15-12-3.

Two off-campus senators, Nathan Johnson and Rebecca Trimble, and an Engineering Senator, Leia Guccione, were seated.

Rebecca Trimble resigned her position as public relations director for GSB in order to better serve the ISU student population, she said.