GSB revives old initiative

Natalie Spray

Old became new at the Government of the Student Body Senate meeting Wednesday night.

A bill presented to the GSB Senate closely resembled an initiative that failed to pass on April 10, 2000, with a vote of 15-12-3.

The current initiative presented to the senate would prevent GSB senators from serving as presidents of their constituency councils. As of Wednesday, no senators hold that position on their councils, said College of Business Senator Casey Harvey, one of the bill’s authors.

Off-campus Senator Dan Kline, Frederiksen Court Senator David Leege and Executive Council Member Rick Cordaro co-authored the initiative.

Rick Cordaro, GSB Chief of Staff, sponsored the bill as a senator when it was originally presented to the GSB Senate. He said a few senators served as presidents of their constituency councils at the time the original bill failed.

Ben Golding, GSB President for 2000-01, was an influential senator when the bill was debated, Cordaro said. Golding had just become the GSB president-elect and was opposed to the bill. He was able to rally support against the initiative, Cordaro said.

Harvey said he believes the bill should be up for voting again because the main purpose is to ensure student representation on all levels of student government.