GSB approves rescheduling meeting for comedy show

Stefanie Peterson

The biggest thing on GSB’s plate this week is preparing for the debut of its first Comedy Festival.

“We have 2,750 seats to fill at Stephens Auditorium,” said Joe Darr, Government of the Student Body vice president.

At Wednesday’s meeting, a motion was passed with a vote of 21-4 to move next week’s meeting time from 7 p.m. to 6 p.m. to attend allow senators to attend the Comedy Festival.

The performance, set for next Wednesday at 8 p.m. in Stephens Auditorium, will feature comedians Tony Rock and David Cross.

A senate bill to provide Internet access and computers for the Black Cultural Center, 517 Welch Ave., was read. It will be voted on at next week’s meeting.

Myron Basta, director of student diversity, said the BCC’s specific purpose is “to serve as a building that would assist in the recruitment and retention of African-American students at Iowa State.”

Basta said many people don’t believe the building has been serving its purpose due to lack of equipment.

If passed, the bill would provide “adequate equipment to serve minority students,” he said.

“By giving minority students the resources every other student has, we’ll be bringing them up to speed with everybody else,” Basta said. “They will be able to compete academically and do research right in the building.”

Tony Luken, speaker of the senate, said the BCC is university owned despite it’s off-campus location.

“[If the BCC is] a student hub of activity, it deserves to have all that goes along with being a university building,” he said. “There’s no reason why this building shouldn’t have [Internet access].”

A senate bill for 2003-2004 Senate Apportionment was passed with a unanimous vote of 27-0 at Wednesday night’s Government of the Student Body meeting.

Voting on a bill for promoting leadership development was postponed until next week’s meeting.

Bills for creating an at-large special Student Fees Committee representative and funding the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender and Ally Alliance’s trip to the Midwest Bisexual Lesbian Gay Transgender Ally College Conference at Ohio State University were also read. Both bills will be voted on at next week’s meeting.